Intel Mac Pro and G4 — questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I have a G4 desktop with dual 1.25 ghz processors. Currently I run 10.2.8.

I am going to be buying an Intel Mac, most likely the Mac Pro desktop. I have several questions.

Is there a good way to connect the two, so I can move files from the G4 to the Mac Pro?

From what I can see, I will not be able to upgrade the G4 to an operating system that would allow the G4 to run current versions of Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Is my belief correct?

I have considered a laptop to allow me to work in two places, but leaving the G4 as a work station in one location would be great. I am not a fan of laptops.

I have always liked my G4, but its operating system rules out running new software with great, new features. The G4 presently only has 512kb of RAM, which is limiting, also.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The G4 should be able to run 10.5.8 just fine, but you'll need to bee up the RAM if your going to run it or Photoshop. Go to at least 1Gb, more if you can. My 1Ghz G4 iBook runs 10.5.8 quite well. 10.6 is Intel only, so you can't get there.

You can connect the two machines via FireWire and use Migration assistant to move your profile over. The Problem, I think, will be that the G4 only has FW 400 and the MacPro only has FW 800. Can't connect the two AFAIK. You could by a 400 card for the Pro or an 800 card for the G4, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also, you might want to hold off on the MacPro. The new Intel "Gulftown" i9 6 core chips are due out in January and Macworld SF is in Feb this year. Odds are Apple will release an updated MacPro at that point (the MacPro like is past due for an update) so you may be able to get a better machine at the same price point as the current MacPro line.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think it really will be the same price point? I have read other comment suggesting it will be higher. Also, what is your thought with respect to my share software question. Will this new model affect my ability to run the Adobe software on both machines, in your opinion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think it really will be the same price point? I have read other comment suggesting it will be higher. Also, what is your thought with respect to my share software question. Will this new model affect my ability to run the Adobe software on both machines, in your opinion?

I don't really see a "share" question in your post, but maybe I'm not understanding you. Please restate the question.

Traditionally Apple releases new hardware at the same price-point as the previous generation as it replaces, sometimes even lower. I don't expect the new MacPros to exceed the current $2499 base price, but they may add a middle model with a single 6 CPU processor at the higher price and leave the 4 Core Xeon as the lower end model I suppose.

You won't be able to run Photoshop etc on the G4 though. I just looked at the Adobe CS4 Premium specs and it requires at least a G5...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really see a "share" question in your post, but maybe I'm not understanding you. Please restate the question.

Traditionally Apple releases new hardware at the same price-point as the previous generation as it replaces, sometimes even lower. I don't expect the new MacPros to exceed the current $2499 base price, but they may add a middle model with a single 6 CPU processor at the higher price and leave the 4 Core Xeon as the lower end model I suppose.

You won't be able to run Photoshop etc on the G4 though. I just looked at the Adobe CS4 Premium specs and it requires at least a G5...

From what I can see, I will not be able to upgrade the G4 to an operating system that would allow the G4 to run current versions of Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Is my belief correct?

You agree with my assumption, here....

You won't be able to run Photoshop etc on the G4 though. I just looked at the Adobe CS4 Premium specs and it requires at least a G5.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You agree with my assumption, here....

You won't be able to run Photoshop etc on the G4 though. I just looked at the Adobe CS4 Premium specs and it requires at least a G5.....

Yes, but it's not the Operating system that is is the issue. The G4 will run 10.5.8 just fine and CS4 will run on 10.5.8 just fine. The issue is your hardware (G4 vs G5 or Intel), not the OS. You are correct, but not for the reason you believed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but it's not the Operating system that is is the issue. The G4 will run 10.5.8 just fine and CS4 will run on 10.5.8 just fine. The issue is your hardware (G4 vs G5 or Intel), not the OS. You are correct, but not for the reason you believed.

Interesting. Still learning, obviously. :)

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.