iPhone v Blackberry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
my plans almost up for AT&T and i have the iPhone....the bill is ridiculous (unlimted everything cant do w.o) and i'm kind of over the whole iPhone hype. don't get me wrong i love the iPhone to death but my Dad has the Blackberry Tour and it can do almost everything the iPhone can do and it has buttons. A lot of my friends also have blackberrys too i can use BBM w. a lot of people.

give me your thoughts about this. if any of you had both or just have a black berry let me know how much you like it. Also i would be getting the Blackberry Tour most likely bc the strom 2 is touchscreen/iPhone knockoff =P

....i was also thinking i can make the iPhone pre-paid if i really wanted it back too...

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It is totally personal preference. It seems that the BB would be good for you, with the benefits of keeping in touch with friends (and buttons ;) ). BB has some pretty good phones out there. You should go into an AT&T store and see if they would let you use one hands on (if there are non on display). I know Verizon did that for me with the Storm and Droid.

Reaction score
the OS looks like c**p. dont do it! my mom and a friend of mine have blackberrys, i hate those things. the buttons are too small and the browser is annoying to use. the way the OS looks under the cover is very reminiscent of plain windows mobile. you dont need unlimited text, get one of the smaller amounts like 1500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'll either be going BB or Android sometime real soon and just give the 3g to my wife. I too am totally over the iPhone 'hype'. Sure, it's pretty. But it's also too restrictive for my tastes. I've got mine Jailbroken, but don't like the premise of having to hack it in order to gain the functionality it should have had in the first place.

A BB will do everything the iPhone does, and in a lot of cases, better. The ONLY thing that the iPhone has over any other half smart phone right now, is Safari. That's it. But I don't really use the browser as much as I thought I would. I've used the BB browser, and it's fine for my uses. The Android browser is even better.

Just think about the applications you're going to be using. Here's my very short list:

GPS Navigation
Google Maps
Instant Messaging apps such as Nimbuzz/Fring etc..
E mail.
Web Browsing.

All BB/Android capable.

Everything else is basically silly frills. Some are useful but not totally necessary. And the BB has most of those silly frills which I've used on the iPhone, minus the ten billion fart apps.

The iPhone will not be missed by me. In fact, I'll revel in the fact that I'll be able to tether without restrictions. I'll also really appreciate the BB mail service. I'm still waiting to see what Android comes up with next though.. or to see if it gets ported to better hardware.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Maybe it's just me.... But the iPhone does something that no other phone does. It takes the iPod out of my other pocket ! I couldn't wait for the iPhone from the moment I heard about it. I mean hey I had phone in one pocket , iPod in one pocket , wallet in another , and keys and misc. pocket stuff in the finial one ! Now I have the a free pocket to just put a hand in.

This phone has been here for the 6 months I have been with out my MacBook. Of my 600 or so posts 500 have been from my iPhone ! Almost all my rep points have come from help I have given from this phone. I am not a fanboy by any stretch but this is without a doubt the best purchase I have ever made !

JMO
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Maybe it's just me.... But the iPhone does something that no other phone does. It takes the iPod out of my other pocket ! I couldn't wait for the iPhone from the moment I heard about it. I mean hey I had phone in one pocket , iPod in one pocket , wallet in another , and keys and misc. pocket stuff in the finial one ! Now I have the a free pocket to just put a hand in.

This phone has been here for the 6 months I have been with out my MacBook. Of my 600 or so posts 500 have been from my iPhone ! Almost all my rep points have come from help I have given from this phone. I am not a fanboy by any stretch but this is without a doubt the best purchase I have ever made !

JMO
Clay

I don't personally like all in one devices very much. The iPhone/iPod combo would be the exception if it weren't for a few things. Battery life being at the front of the list. I'd rather make sure I had enough battery life to make a phone call than waste it on a good song. Also, I have a lot of ogg files as well as some FLAC files which the iPod doesn't play, obviously. But my Sansa Fuze does.. and the Fuze is tiny, so it doesn't bother me at all. I never feel it. And the sound quality trumps the iPod by a long shot. Good headphones reveal a lot with portable DAP's.

Plus I also like not having to rely on iTunes for file transfers and such. Of course, different strokes...

D.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't personally like all in one devices very much. The iPhone/iPod combo would be the exception if it weren't for a few things. Battery life being at the front of the list. I'd rather make sure I had enough battery life to make a phone call than waste it on a good song. Also, I have a lot of ogg files as well as some FLAC files which the iPod doesn't play, obviously. But my Sansa Fuze does.. and the Fuze is tiny, so it doesn't bother me at all. I never feel it. And the sound quality trumps the iPod by a long shot. Good headphones reveal a lot with portable DAP's.

Plus I also like not having to rely on iTunes for file transfers and such. Of course, different strokes...

D.

Doug

Music playing is not particularly battery intensive on the iPhone even over extended period. Using Apps is. According to my BB using friends, several of whom own iPhones or iPod Touches, the BB isn't much better and in some cases worse.

Everything else is simply personal preference that a lot of folks would disagree with you on. As you said "different strokes"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

D.

Doug

My battery barely lasts a day. But as baggss said, it's all personal preference. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If your going to get a BB get the new 9700 it's available on ATT & Tmobile both on 3G.
I switched from iPhone to Blackberry mainly because of battery life and 3G. Blackberry battery is significantly better than the iPhone,But who knows hopefully in June Apple will announce the mother of all iPhones (maybe it will be available on other carriers in the US)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny, if Apple's MobileMe service were to go out nationwide for hours on end the stuff would hit the fan. People would be screaming about how Apple abuses their customers and rips them off. When BB does it, eh, no biggie. What's even worse is far more people rely on the BB mail service than do on Apples MM.

As a side note, when Apple HAS had issues with MM service they provide a free service extension to their customers. My subscription for last year went from 12 to 16 months because Apple kept voluntarily extending my contract due to MM issues.

Wonder if BB will do the same for their customers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
That BB outage sucked! Hopefully it isn't something that happens often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I carry my personal iPhone and a Blackberry supplied by my company. I get corporate email on both as I support the infrastructure and I prefer the iPhone hands down to the BlackBerry. I don't have to rely on RIM to make sure my email gets to me. I also get my email on my iPhone before it arrives on my Blackberry (Also due to RIM's servers).

The battery life is better on the Blackberry, but it doesn't do what the iPhone does. Using an iPhone with activesync push mail will definately drain the battery faster than the Blackberry. The apps for the Blackberry are also very limited incomparison to the iPhone.

You need to decide what you really want to use the device for and how important it is that you get your mail in a timely fashion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
My battery barely lasts a day. But as baggss said, it's all personal preference. Nothing wrong with that.

If you just want to listen to music, I understand that putting the phone into Airplane Mode will greatly reduce battery consumption. Of course the phone won't work while in that state.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just want to listen to music, I understand that putting the phone into Airplane Mode will greatly reduce battery consumption. Of course the phone won't work while in that state.

Oh yeah, I have a G1. T-Mobile just rolled out 3G, and it sucked down my battery, plus EDGE was faster and more reliable (my messages would actually send on EDGE) so I switched back to EDGE.

The G1 has been known to have a crappy battery, I'll have to be buying a new one soon because it barely, just barely holds a charge for a day. It goes out (around 10 PM) before I even go to bed.

Sometimes if I do not have a charger at hand, I will turn it on Airplane mode. Then my phone will last for hours with only 23% battery left!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.