app that make your neighbor switch to Mac

O

oldswitcher

I'm using Mac for about 1 year and must say that it was not an easy way to swith from PC. Actually, sometimes I still have to launch Virtual PC to run some app that I don't have on Mac. For example, MS Access or some data format convertors I need to use while working. Another hand is it wasn't so much easier to get accustomed to Mac OS X and Finder. On Windows many advanced users don't use Explorer for file operations, because it's multiple-window interface sometimes makes you drown in them and many of these users used windows from the first version and even before... when there was't any Windows and there was DOS and everybody used apps like Norton Commander. Later they used Total Commander for Windows... I think that many of such users (like me) switching to Mac are having a lot of head ache, because they can't any app like Total Commander for Mac. So was me before I tried to search Internet for something like that and typed something like 'Total Commander equivalent for Mac OS X' in Google and found the app named Disk Order 1.1. It looks like TC but maken for Mac OS X and it's action is very similar to above mentioned file manager. It hepled me greatly to get used to Mac. I think it's a real way for users like me to switch to Mac. My neighbor switched ;-)

OP
B

badmojo

Good post. I'm going to be getting my first mac in a few days, and this is one app that really makes sense. If you've been a 'wintel' user for a long time, as I have, this application eases the learning curve. Should be an optional install on the O/S disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
real geeks use the command line though :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
inflexion said:
real geeks use the command line though :p

Yup. As I write this, I am archiving a copy of my Virtual PC list to another drive using the tar command. UNIX rules. :)

Good first post, oldswitcher. I'll check out Disk Order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
oldswitcher said:
I'm using Mac for about 1 year and must say that it was not an easy way to swith from PC. Actually, sometimes I still have to launch Virtual PC to run some app that I don't have on Mac. For example, MS Access or some data format convertors I need to use while working. Another hand is it wasn't so much easier to get accustomed to Mac OS X and Finder. On Windows many advanced users don't use Explorer for file operations, because it's multiple-window interface sometimes makes you drown in them and many of these users used windows from the first version and even before... when there was't any Windows and there was DOS and everybody used apps like Norton Commander. Later they used Total Commander for Windows... I think that many of such users (like me) switching to Mac are having a lot of head ache, because they can't any app like Total Commander for Mac. So was me before I tried to search Internet for something like that and typed something like 'Total Commander equivalent for Mac OS X' in Google and found the app named Disk Order 1.1. It looks like TC but maken for Mac OS X and it's action is very similar to above mentioned file manager. It hepled me greatly to get used to Mac. I think it's a real way for users like me to switch to Mac. My neighbor switched ;-)

Wow, cool app. That's one Apple needs to buy and pre-package with OSX. Coming from Windows, i do find the finder to be annoying and that looks like a good solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.