Magic Eraser keyboard problem- Macbook

Reaction score
Based on more searching, I believe the problem may have been caused by the Magic Eraser

I wiped the palm rest area with the Magic Eraser, which is now the likely cause of my problem. I believe a number of keys are short-circuiting so I am continuing to dry out the macbook as much as possible.

This is what leads me to conclude:

hep e wth y keybard | Ask MetaFilter

I have also read the following and am following said precautions
Spilled ...ac or Keyboard - Mac Guides
As well as the links in: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...board+-working amongst many on other websites

Current situation:

I can turn the macbook on, and at the login screen I get the problem where the sound of a key pressed repeats continuously ("bloom" noise). After 10 seconds or so, pressing any key on the keyboard results in the same noise, with nothing appearing on screen with the exception of 6 keys (Q,J,K,U,N,L). These 6 keys produce no sound. No matter what I type nothing comes in the 'password area of the login screen. My num lock button light and caps lock button light turn on when pressed. Also, the Voice Activitation is on and is constantly commenting in a random manner.

My trackpad functions, macbook turns on/off without problem as well.

I need some help identifying the issue at hand, Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Well your not supposed to get the eraser soaking wet. I do not know how you were using it? A damp eraser should be completely fine. I have used it MANY times on my palmrests and have had no problem at all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well your not supposed to get the eraser soaking wet. I do not know how you were using it? A damp eraser should be completely fine. I have used it MANY times on my palmrests and have had no problem at all.

You are right. I regret even trying to clean my keyboard at all, and I would do anything to get out of this mess without losing my shirt in this process. I am a student and this is probably the only thing I own that is of any value :\ If I could get away with just a keyboard replacement, I'd feel lucky but I have no idea what kind of repair/replacement I am looking at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate i would be leaving it as long as possible with fan on it to dry out as much as you can.
Wait as long as you can and the try restart it then ..
Needs time to dry out. Then if problem exists you might need appt at Genius bar

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks tattooedmac

It has been close to 48 hours and I am incredibly impatient so I think I just need to back off touching it right now. I guess I will reschedule my Genius Bar appointment and give it more time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cool thats it just dont be too hasty ....

Good luck with it and keep us posted :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.