Having few problems while moving PC-To-MAC for recordings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 Intel Core Mac Mini & 2GB RAM
Hey there people.

As you can see, I'ma new member to this forum :) and I'm also new when it comes to join the Mac and I'm currently loving my move. I got a mac mini currently with the specifications which can currently run Garageband and can also run Pro-tools & Logic Express. I was using PC's for about 6 years for recordings of vocals consisting of singing and also raps. I have being in a steady learning curve in terms of knowledge with studio equipments and so on forth.

Well firstly, Should I stick to Garageband or Should I upgrade to either Logic Express or Pro-Tools? If I should upgrade, which is better Pro-Tools or Logic Express? I have heard and read on some forums and blogs that Pro-Tools more based on audio recordings meanwhile Logic Express is built for MIDI's.

I'm also currently looking to upgrade my audio control interface. I'm currently using Edirol UA-20. Can anyone recommend me an interface? I'm currently thinking about Native Instrument's Audio Kontrol 1, I have read few blogs & forums and show quite a lot of good feedbacks and reviews.

Thank you very much for reading and I will be looking forward to your replies.

Faris ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Welcome to Mac Forums Faris!
Just curious, but what program did you use for 6 years on a PC? I'm just asking because I came from using Cubase on PC to now having Logic 9 on my MBP.
Garageband is a great program for tracking basic arrangements for songs.
With Pro-Tools you will need to use only M-Audio gear with it.
Logic, to me, is the big dawg. I am still learning it even from the days of starting out with Logic 8.
Basically, it's all about what you want to do with your music.

As for audio interfaces, I will always buy a Firewire interface. Here is a list of FW interfaces from Tweekheadz Lab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB, Radeon 4870 * MacBook Pro 17" 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram * 64GB 3G iPad
Welcome Faris,

I agree with Juke179r, there are different strokes for different folks. I am a ProTools user and I have the Digidesign MBOX2 interface. The MBOX also works well with FinalCut Pro / Soundtrack Pro. I've not used Logic, although I am interested in learning more about it. I'm an audio engineer of more than 25yrs. both studio and live and I'm amazed with what I can do with ProTools LE. I would have liked the Firewire capability but at the time didn't have the extra $$ for the Digidesign firewire box.

Hope this helps!

dB

OP
faris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 Intel Core Mac Mini & 2GB RAM
Thank you for the replies guys.

I have being using Cubase on PC. I have also being using Adobe Audition on my laptop as well because it was much easier to operate and to achieve what I need when I usually move around places. I usually record demo's and mix tapes for people that I work with. I believe that quality of recording mixing and mastering is quite essential for me.

I have also heard a lot about Digidesign MBOX2 interface. Some engineers and producers have recommended me to using this interface with Pro-Tools. I haven't really done much research on the interface yet.

Thank you for the help guys. I will be updating my status and I have subscribed to this post so, anymore posts will be read and appreciated.

Faris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.