iPhoto Crash When Connect to iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
I just noticed this today. When I connect my iPhone (3GS) to my MBP (running 10.6.2) iPhoto launches, then starts to show the photos on my iPhone, then unexpectedly crashes.

There is a very long error message that I can not understand and so I just click continue instead of re-opening iPhoto.

Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to resolve this? This happened today when I choose to sync my iPhone with my iTunes library on this new MBP.

I didn't have this problem when I just connected the iPhone just for backing it up and not syncing anything.

Reaction score
iphoto hangs when phone connected to mac

Found the answer. Had this issue for months and kept getting spinning beach ball whenever connecting my iphone automatically opened iphoto and iphoto promptly hung the computer.

Answer found on another forum (not apple support ;-). Problem is actually with Image Capture.

Solution:

Open Image Capture (in applications folder)
Plug in phone
Phone will appear on left hand side - select it
a dialog box opens beneath that asking you to select which product to open when phone is attached - make sure iphoto is selected.
detach iphone
quit Image Capture app
restart computer

After this - I had no more problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.