Time Capsule & Linksys Wireless Router

Reaction score
I'm hoping some can help guide me through this.

I'm a new convert to Mac and was using a Linksys WRT320N & Linksys 8-port switch to handle all the equipment in my home office. I recent bought a 1T Time Capsule, but want to know how I need to setup the equipment so that everything connects properly.

I have a MacPro, several PC's (desktops & laptops), and frequent "guests" on my wifi network. I need to be able to connect just about everything. I also have a Epson WF600 network all-in-one, PS3, Wii, iTouch, DS Lite. When I used to run the Linksys/Linksys setup, everything worked smoothly, however, I purchased the TC so it would be doing back-ups of my new Mac Pro. I couldn't get the Wii, PS3, or DS Lite (WEP only) to connect to the TC (guests or otherwise), and only until I unplugged the TC and plugged in the WRT320N, was I able to connect.

Can anyone guide me on how I can get this all situated? I know it seems like a ridiculous amount of equipment, but that what I need (sigh).

Please, please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
A firiend has a similar amount of boys toys, and has setup his network as follows (all without issues):

1. DSL Modem> connnected to 'n' wireless router via ethernet (acting as DHCP server)
2. TC connected to wireless router via ethernet>new wireless (unique)SSID setup through TC using WPA2
3. TC provides wireless throughout house (extended via AEX) on a/b/g channels and a seperate 5GHz channel (for iMac only) - also has seperate hard drive mounted and printer via USB - available to all stations.
4. Linksys Wireless router setup with unique SSID (from TC SSID) using WEP - broadcasting on seperate channel to TC a/b/g and n channels.
5. SSID at No 4 used for guests and other toys (wired and wireless)

As both the router and TC are essentially on the 'same' network (regardless of SSIDs - the router is the DHCP server) all stations should be able to communicate effectively...

Let me know if this makes sense or not...

OP
H
Reaction score
So is this what you're recommending?

Modem > Linksys N (as DHCP Server) > TC (as access point/switch)?

Where do I add my 8-port switch? to the Linksys N or the TC?

Another strange thing I discovered was that I couldn't get any wireless device to connect to the TC's primary wireless signal, only the "guest" one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
Pretty much - a lot of it is personal choice i guess:

My preference would be to ring-fence the TC created network (WPA2) and use solely for backups to the mac, and connecting with other Apple toys (ATV/AEX etc,.)

I would then use the linksys-n wireless network for everything else (including the 8-port switch and any peripherals).

As they all go through the one DHCP server (the Linksys-n) network shares are easy to maintain between all the hardware - also the linksys-n has more extensible tools than the TC, which is useful with the variety of kit you have...obviously this network will only be encrypted with WEP (PS3).

As for the anomaly regarding the connection issue to the TCs SSID - you need to check what settings you have entered on the 'Wireless' utility? Do you have a screen shot?

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow... It's beginning to sound more like greek to me.

I don't know how to do screen shots on the Mac :eek:( I'll be more than happy to post one if someone can tell me how :eek:)

Currently I took the TC out of play since I needed more ports and the WEP for my Wii and PS3.

The Linksys wireless has an assigned IP of 192.168.1.1 (issuing IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100) and I assigned the TC 192.168.1.2.

I don't know how to configure the TC so that it only 'behaves' like an switch and wireless access point. Does anyone have any advice for this?

I tried using both of the ethernet ports on the back of my MacPro, but it automatically jumps to the TC connection which I'm still trying to figure out and completely disregards the good connection to the Linsys.

I've tried to search online about configuring the TC, but all the documentation out there only speaks of "easy setup" which is great for the average user, which apparently I am not.

Thank you for being patient with me on this. I really want to be able to understand what I'm trying to do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I.E. Keep everything just like you had it - no changes.

Connect the TC to the Linksys or the switch via ethernet.

Setup the TC in bridged mode - the Linksys will still be the DHCP server - with a 2nd 'n' only network - used for nothing but your Macs.

edit: My PS3 connects just fine to WPA network, I would guess the Wii would also, it just has to be 'g', or a combo 'g/n' network, since the PS 3 is not 'n' capable..

Reaction score
Try looking at the two threads below this. They Both have pictures to look at.

OP
H
Reaction score
OMG! This was the information that I really, really needed. Although I wish I knew that bridging was what I was needing to do ... and subsequently where to find it.

My only issue is that Apple didn't offer a more detailed manual for the TC that explained a bit about all the different options that the Air Port Utility offered and what that means to the average user, such as myself.

I did notice that after switching to Bridge mode, that the guest wireless is no longer available, and that my MacBook Pro can now connect properly to the TC wireless, where before it would only connect to the guest wireless. Go figure.

Thanks again!!! I'm so grateful for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.