Question regarding UPS/APC buy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I had the most catostrophic experience yesterday. My new OctoCore MacPro had its first experience with a power faliure!!!

Luckily- no damage has been detected yet to the data on my internal & external drives... RELIEF

Now I'm frantically trying to purchase a complimenting APC/UPS for tower. There are many choices on newegg.com, but have no idea what the "power consumption" criteria are for the MacPro, so I must ask here...

So, can anyone provide any insight into these units, or what the best size would be?

I have been looking at this one because it seems to have good reviews:
Newegg.com - APC BR1500LCD 1500VA 865 Watts 8 Outlets BACK-UPS RS - UPS

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is a pretty good unit- it does have AVR (automatic voltage regulation) which protects you from both lows and peaks in power.

Looks like most of their Mac software hasn't been updated since 10.4.8. If you need the software to shut down the system while you're away, you might email APC support to ask if it's still functioning in 10.6.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a nice unit, however, as bobtomay pointed out in his previous reply... does this one come with compatible software that will work with your MacPro to shut it down automatically in the event you're not around to do so?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.