Win 7 on Macbook Pro late 2006 problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
OK, i have installed windows 7 numerous times and re-installed the graphics card several times but every time i lower the resolution below the native resolution of the screen (1680 x 1050) and get a black border around the edge, Has anyone else experienced this and/or fixed it?

Thanks in advance :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to ask... Why are you lowering the resolution? The graphics driver for Windows 7 is going to work best at the native resolution of your MBP. If you're trying to play a certain game and it will only work at a lower resolution, there's not much you can do about it.

On my machine when I use "Doomsday" to play older Doom Wads in Windows 7, the resolution will drop from the native to much lower in order to display the graphics of the game properly.

Regards.

OP
funkdabeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
Yes its mostly when i play games, it is very annoying because i like to take advantage of my 17" display but when i play games i only get 50% of my display :mad:

Also it wprks in vista ie. it will stretch the resolution to fit the edge of the display instead of on windows 7 where it wont

Reaction score
I have a 15" late 2006 Macbook Pro for which I understand Apple does not support Bootcamp installation of Windows 7. Were you able to work around this somehow and perform the Bootcamp installation or are you using Parallels or VM Fusion ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a 15" late 2006 Macbook Pro for which I understand Apple does not support Bootcamp installation of Windows 7. Were you able to work around this somehow and perform the Bootcamp installation or are you using Parallels or VM Fusion ?

Apple basically does not provide support for the installation of any version of Windows on any Mac.

What they do provide is the BootCamp Utility to partition the drive and make that 2nd partition bootable, and provide windows drivers on their OS discs.

I have Windows 7 installed on my 15" late 2006 MBP in a BootCamp partition. Don't use it all that much, but what little I do, it seems to work just fine there and in VMWare.

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I finally, with a little work-around to get MS to accept my Windows 7 Product Key, was able to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 on the BootCamp partition of my late 2006 MBP. I only use it to run a few programs that won't run on my Mac and it seems to be working o.k. for them. My Bluetooth mouse won't connect and my iSight camera doesn't work, but hopefully an anticipated Apple upgrade of BootCamp will fix that.

Thanks again for your info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.