Apple Pro Mouse

C

comp

Just recently my mouse skips around the screen and sometimes even freezes. It is beginning to be very annoying. Is there any problems with the mouse or could it be the wire attached to the mouse?

Will Apple be willing to replace the mouse if I am still covered under warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
If you're under warranty, i would just take the mouse in and get it replaced. I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Also, your problem might be similar to mine, except I'm not using the Apple Pro Mouse, but another optical one. Anyways, my mousepad is bent so it'll jump around sometimes (well, whenever you get close to the top left edge). So maybe your mousepad might be bent ;) lol

sKaD

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Something could be blocking the sensor, or maybe you've got a rough desk. I don't use a mousepad, I just use my desk.

OP
J

jasonr

comp said:
Just recently my mouse skips around the screen and sometimes even freezes. It is beginning to be very annoying. Is there any problems with the mouse or could it be the wire attached to the mouse?

Will Apple be willing to replace the mouse if I am still covered under warranty?

Does your mouse have a crimped wire where it comes out of the mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I would bet its the surface. I have only seen 1 broken apple pro mouse... and it was thrown against a wall more than once.

OP
J

jasonr

Graphite said:
I would bet its the surface. I have only seen 1 broken apple pro mouse... and it was thrown against a wall more than once.
Go to the apple discussion forum at apple.com
There are tons of broken mice due to the crimp in the wire!

There are even a tedious way to break it apart and solder it!!!

What is going on here?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
jasonr said:
Comp just wrote me saying that Apple is replacing her mouse.
it's broken. You can bet it's the wire crimp!

I love my MAC but Apple needs to stand up on this one.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pro+mouse+broken+wire

Here is the problem, there are some hardware parts that are considered consumable. That is because they do wear out more quickly that other items due to stress, wear and tear. I believe that the mouse is one of these parts, You complain about Apple needs to replace this when other manufactors don't replace it either with out a purchase order. If you do get a replacement feel blessed.

OP
J

jasonr

rman said:
Here is the problem, there are some hardware parts that are considered consumable. That is because they do wear out more quickly that other items due to stress, wear and tear. I believe that the mouse is one of these parts, You complain about Apple needs to replace this when other manufactors don't replace it either with out a purchase order. If you do get a replacement feel blessed.

If you bought tires with slow leaks, would that be OK?

Same thing. The crimp in the wire renders it defective.

Appe has acted to fix the problem while denying there is one.

They are not our cult leaders. We are just their consumers.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is the point I am making. Was the mouse functioning in the beginning, Just like the tire values, or was there a problem from the start.

What I am seeing here is the problem has been resolved per your post in another thread. Now the issue is here. Has comp resolved his problem?

Or are we dicussing a non issue? The problem basically is a point of view. If a person never has a problem with the hardware, you won't hear anything. But if a person has a problem, then they yell very loud about it, even if the problem is resolved.

OP
J

jasonr

rman said:
That is the point I am making. Was the mouse functioning in the beginning, Just like the tire values, or was there a problem from the start.

What I am seeing here is the problem has been resolved per your post in another thread. Now the issue is here. Has comp resolved his problem?

Or are we dicussing a non issue? The problem basically is a point of view. If a person never has a problem with the hardware, you won't hear anything. But if a person has a problem, then they yell very loud about it, even if the problem is resolved.

If you take a hair sized wire that you can see (unwraped) and bend it 90 degrees, then look at it with a magnifying glass at the bend, you will see where the wire's integrity has been compromised or weakened.

That makes it a problem from the start.

Comp took my advise and went through the hoops with Apple and then convinced them that the problem had to come from the crimp in the wire when none of the other fixes worked.

So, like the tires worked at first but ran out of air later so does the mouse. yet, it is very likely to fail due to the defect.
that is a fact, not a point of view.

OP
C

comp

Just wanted to let you know that Apple stepped up to the plate, and after a series of steps,I received a new pro mouse. I spoke to them yesterday and it arrived today!!

I am pleased to say that the new one is working perfectly. It is not freezing up anymore and I do not have to unplug it and replug it into the keyboard every few minutes!

OP
J

jasonr

comp said:
Just wanted to let you know that Apple stepped up to the plate, and after a series of steps,I received a new pro mouse. I spoke to them yesterday and it arrived today!!

I am pleased to say that the new one is working perfectly. It is not freezing up anymore and I do not have to unplug it and replug it into the keyboard every few minutes!

It's nice when it fails b4 your warranty runs out. Good 4 you!

OP
S

SpliceDWDM

comp said:

My mouse freezes the odd time. I will re-check the connections and the wire today. I suspect it's the surface of my desk; it's a light wood colour with soft faux wood pattern. I'm kind of dissappointed that Apple isn't using a mouse engine similar to Logitech's MX310 or better. My MX310 works perfectly on the exact same surface.

**** UPDATE ****

I'm now using a matte-finish blue cloth mousepad. All seems well so far - like I say, Apple should use a better optical engine in their mice.

OP
F

flyingpostman

Graphite said:

My kitten chewed right through the cord on my mouse. The irony wasn't lost on me either. Had to order up a new one. The OS shut down the USB port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.