Looking for starter mac laptop

Reaction score
I am just looking for a basic startup mac laptop. I mainly use the computer for browsing the net and downloading music and videos. I would prefer something at at least a gig of ram maybe a little less. Also decent amount of memory.
I dont have much to spend, really hoping to find a good deal on craigslist or something. I am just looking for recommendations from everyone here! I would hope to find one that I could upgrade in the future. Please let me know what you all would suggest! Thanks again!!:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buying a used Mac is like buying anything else that's used. It's always buyer beware. Be careful when shopping from Craig's list - if you can meet with the seller and try out the machine before buying it, that would be best.

Honestly though, for your needs and wants, a new netbook might be something to consider. I've seen netbooks with 1 GB of memory, 160 GB hard drive, wireless, web cam, XP Home, 10" screen, etc., all for less than $400.00.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2x2GHz Dual Xeon, 6Gig RAM, 1.5TB of Space
I have a MacBook for sale just now, that would suit you well, but it depends where you are??
I am in Scotland.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am just looking for a basic startup mac laptop.

I dont have much to spend, really hoping to find a good deal on craigslist or something.

Let us know what your budget is...and we may be able to give you an idea of "how much Mac laptop" it will buy.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I mainly just want something simple to begin with. I was thinking around 200. And from just checking craigslist and comparison shopping I can tell that wont get too much. Unless I have missed something. Like I said, I really dont need anything extravagant just something that will have a decent speed.

I am in pittsburgh pennsylvania right now for work, but I live in dayton ohio. So if anyone in either of those areas is selling one let me know!

Reaction score
The lowest end Macbooks for the last few years have had 1280x800 screens. Will this be adequate for your needs? Some people feel it's a bit low res. Tho the laptops themselves are very small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
If you really just want to jump in and try out the Mac world for a while, that sounds like a refurbished G4 iBook or PowerBook. You don't need to go buying a big, brand new, expensive, fancy MacBook before you've even tried the software.

Reaction score
I just picked up an iBook G4 12" for only $160 through Craigslist. It was for my wife who uses it mainly for Facebook, e-mail and downloading music. It works perfectly and would probably suit your needs nicely. Keep an eye out on Craigslist, there are some really good deals out there.

Reaction score
I am just looking for a basic startup mac laptop. I mainly use the computer for browsing the net and downloading music and videos. I would prefer something at at least a gig of ram maybe a little less. Also decent amount of memory.
I dont have much to spend, really hoping to find a good deal on craigslist or something. I am just looking for recommendations from everyone here! I would hope to find one that I could upgrade in the future. Please let me know what you all would suggest! Thanks again!!:D

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.