am I dreaming or can this be done???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
I just ordered a 500gb drive and 4gb of ram for my macbook which currently has 80gb drive in it. What I want to do is install the 500gb drive, install leopard on the drive. Then I want to take the 80gb drive and copy it over to the 500gb drive as a new user. So I will have a brand new user with nothing, like it came right out the box, and have my old user, programs, Itunes, Photos, etc on another user so I can log in and get to it whenever I need anything from that acct. Can this easily be done? Or should I just copy everything over from the old drive and reinstall all my programs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best and easiest method is to clone the contents of your 80 GB drive to the new 500 GB drive prior to making the swap. Use either "SuperDuper" (shareware) or "Carbon Copy Cloner" (donation ware) to produce a bootable clone. After making the clone, remove the 80 GB and replace it with the 500 GB. You'll be all set to go.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
leave the 80gb hdd in and if you have an external hdd encloser (dosnt metter if it is 3.5" or 2.5") put the 500gb in and copy ALL the contents from the 80gb onto your 500gb.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
pro tools announced they are compatible with snow leopard so I am now ready for snow leopard. Yal think its better to upgrade now, or install the new HD first then upgrade. Or does it matter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
It shouldn't matter... either... or...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.