Medium video editing on the next macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz, 3 GB Ram, Intel Gma 64 mb video, 80 GB Hdd
Hello, right now i have a PowerMac G5, dual 1.8ghz, 4gb ram(max for this model), 64 mb video nvidia fx5200, 2x 1tb hdd. I need to be mobile so i decided for the next year to buy a macbook pro 17inch, 2.8 ghz, 4+4 gb ram, 500 gb hdd, nvidia 9400+9600 video card. I want to know if anyone has it in this configuration and if its quite ok to edit wedding(shot with panasonic md10000 - dv capture). I will use an external firewire hdd. I also want to buy for my g5 an GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL AGP8x/Pro and i wonder if i`ll feel a change than my actually video card. Sorry for my english! Thank you for answers.
Oh, and one more thing: if i decide to buy from apple store us(me being in Romania, Europe) anyone has idea what taxes do i have to pay beside shipping? I ask you that because here that macbook pro is around 4700$ and in us is around 3200$, so i guess the shipping can`t just make that big difference. Thank you again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The machine you chose will do video editing quite nicely especially if you order it with the better graphics chipset.

However, I'm not sure that you can order it direct from Apple here in the US. It's possible you may be able to find a Mac outlet on the web that will sell you one and ship it to you in Romania. That I don't know.

You need to check with your local customs and taxes. I believe by the time you pay VAT plus import duty plus shipping, it might be the same price as it would be in Romania. Now, if you were traveling to the US and bought it in person, that would be different. Or a friend who is traveling to the US to buy it for you.

Regards.

Reaction score
U might want 2 look at one of the 15" models cuz a 17" isn't the greatest everyday carry around laptop because it is bigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
I have the same specs as the one you are looking at but 15" and totally love it. Yes it will edit your videos with no problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.