• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

filming directly on to mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
hey all

how can i film directly on to my mac or to an external hard drive?

as im looking to film night to day and will need to leave the camcorder recording for a few hours?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
So are you asking if you can just plug in your camera, and let it run all day and have it constantly storing the raw footage being filmed straight onto your hard drive? If so, then that will be application specific. Are you goingg to be using Final Cut, iMovie, Quicktime or some thing else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You may want to look into iStopMotion. They have a page that lists cameras that work the way you want. This is important because not all cameras can be used in this manner.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
emptee- im using imovie at present

Xstep-i film on a canon hv20 i'll check out the list but im sure it should be fine,

Cheers guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You can "film" short clips simply using Photo Booth.

Reaction score
Look into VeeScope Live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.