Can an Airport Extreme & Express work together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2x2GHz Dual Xeon, 6Gig RAM, 1.5TB of Space
HI folks, I currently run my mac-pro & PC systems of a Netgear router, which is connected to the cable modem, but I want to move my systems to another room and do not want to have to route cables all over the place.
My main worry being that I run an online radio station with a weekly show, and I cannot have any drop in speeds if I go wireless).
What I am wanting to know is if I get a Airport Express unit, and run the cable modem in to that, and in the other room have my systems LAN connected to a Airport Extreme Basestation - can that basestation access the net via the Express wirelessly??
Or will that not work??
Or will I loose too much speed?

I hope I explained that ok :Lips-Are-Sealed:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to mention, I already have the Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, that will work. How much speed you will lose will depend on the over-all network speed (B/G/N) based on what devices are present but wireless is never as fast as wired.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks baggss, that's what I thought, but just wanted it confirmed.
What I might have to try is to move the gear into the other room when I get it decorated and set up for the systems, I will then try it with the current Netgear router, and the Airport Extreme, and also with a network cable run through.
I don't really want to have to drill through two walls to accomplish this, but with the online radio show, I may have no option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Forgot to mention, I already have the Airport Extreme

What is the Extreme - 802.11g? Later 802.11n have much better range and i don't see much variation between 11n and ethernet with only 2 units on the LAN connecting wirelessly. I know it is not a real comparison but i can certainly see the 11g work a bit more slowly than ethernet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's 802.11n, Collin.
There will be 3 systems running of the setup, as well as the MacPro, there will also be a XP box and either an XP laptop or a Macbook - the laptops will be done wireless, unless they are sat next one of the routers.
However when doing the online Radio I will be using one of the laptops and their wireless will be disabled (they are only there to play any adverts and intro & outro music out through the mixer).
For normal use I would be happy with whatever I can get with the wireless, however for the radio show I need a good connection, but I don't fancy having to drill through walls to run a cable as I am renting this place.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if upgrading my Broadband to the 50mb would make up for going wireless??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA
If only...unfortunately, the broadband speed has no bearing on your wireless speed, which is tempered by current technology....getting better with 5 GHz though (until that frequency gets clogged with every other gizmo in your house of course)!

I have just set someone up with what you are wanting, and it works without issues. Three PC/Laptops, iMac, Apple TV - all connected to a TC, with an AEX extending the wireless broadcast - allowing the above to all connect wirelessly as needed.

The only wireless throughput degradation experienced on the other stations, is when streaming to Apple TV etc., which is to be expected.

Hope it does the job for you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
It's 802.11n, Collin.
There will be 3 systems running of the setup, as well as the MacPro, there will also be a XP box and either an XP laptop or a Macbook

With the 802.11n it falls back to the speed of the slowest unit so if are running a 802.11n and connect a PC with 802.11g then it all drops back to 11g. You might need to check out a Dual Band Time Capsule or Dual Band Extreme so that you can keep the 11n on 11n.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.