Clean Install - backing up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
Hey guy,

I want to do a clean install of Tiger. It's not being unstable or anything, it's just that mysql has been a pain in the @$$ and for some reason the mysql.sock has been not working. I cant run in through terminal, have rechecked permissions and if my buddy cant fix it tomorrow...I'll have to do a clean install just to start with a fresh slate.

In an event I have to do that, I have the following question:

How do I back up my email a/c and settings? [I have 8 inboxes...do I just backup /Library/Mail/Pop*, i.e all folders starting with POP??]?

thanks

also, any other special backup i need to do? apart from the regular...i.e my docs, bookmarks, files.

D

dstyrk

I've become pretty proficient at my mail settings.. I'd bet I'm faster than my backup. Write them down now, like a backup, put them away, you will need them sooner or later, install, type, be done. Is that too many commas? :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
well, most my bad for saying settings...i was thinking more about the actual emails themselves. the settings are all in my head...seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I back up the whole User library, don't miss anything I might want later then :)
All User folders including iTunes :) special fonts and dmg copies of downloaded software if you have them.
All the best.

Reaction score
Emails are kept in your local library folder in the 'Mail' folder. Their may also be other things in their that are worth backing up, like the 'address book' folder which is in the Library / Application support folder as this has all the email addresses in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.