Connecting to a Network Printer

Reaction score
I have a Samsung CLP-310 network printer that used to work with a macbook. The router has it permanently fixed at 192.168.1.100 and Safari can surf to it and check out printer status and supplies etc.

Under printers it's visible and the macbook even knows the NIC. I entered in the 192.168.1.100 as the location but still the macbook is looking for the printer and the document remains in the print q.

In addition to being able to see the printer, the macbook can also display files etc. that are on my Windows Home Server and the macbook has internet access.

So everything is working except for printing which used to work. We don't know when it stopped working. Might have been after an OS upgrade or when the router was replaced.

Both Vista and Windows XP can print to this printer. Only the MAC can't. We've tried rebooting the macbook and cycling power on the printer. Still no luck. What other diagnostic tools are ther so I can convince the macbook that there really is a printer there and that it's able to print to it.

John

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only had the same issue once with my networked HP, everything worked except the actual printing. Mine was fixed by simply removing and re-adding the printer in System Preferences. Might try log out and back in after removing.

OP
J
Reaction score
Only had the same issue once with my networked HP, everything worked except the actual printing. Mine was fixed by simply removing and re-adding the printer in System Preferences. Might try log out and back in after removing.

It's alive! It's Alive!

Thank you. That worked. Odds are the latest automatic upgrade broke it. Just removing it and then clicking on '+' to add a printer found it and also inserted the descriptive location of where it was rather than the IP number.

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.