• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Psystar .. going .. going .. gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yep such a good outcome.
There is a great article about it in this months Australian MW ......

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I wonder why Psystar started this business in the first place. I'm no legal expert but this kind of operation just reeks of illegality. So, it was nice to see this end the way it should have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Good riddance!

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I miss Psystar. I don't think any other business offered Linux/Windows/OS X on computers the way that they did. They did well in my opinion. Why all the hate?

I love Macs, but this move reminds me a bit of Microsoft; crush the competition!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Quite frankly, I miss Psystar. I don't think any other business offered Linux/Windows/OS X on computers the way that they did. They did well in my opinion. Why all the hate?

I love Macs, but this move reminds me a bit of Microsoft; crush the competition!

No, they were breaking the law and the DCMA copyright act with OSX. They lost fair and square.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
but this move reminds me a bit of Microsoft; crush the competition!

If i was Apple it wouldnt be the 'illegal copying and making a Hacintosh', i would have been worried about, because in reality there wouldnt have been a great deal of competition between the two. IMO
When i comes down to it i would have hated something i owned and was a big part of my business running on inferior hardware and all the problems associated with it, because all it would take is someone not in the knowing computers watching the OS in a Hackintosh seeing it not perform the way it should and turning them anti Apple there and then...
There looking after future earnings not what there CRUSHING now

IMO
Plus Yes its illegal.........

Reaction score
No, they were breaking the law and the DCMA copyright act with OSX. They lost fair and square.

I agree that Psystar was a shady and illegitimate organization and needed to cease and desist.

But please don't invoke DMCA as rationale - that horrible piece of legislation also makes it illegal for me to make a backup copy of a DVD that I bought fair and square to my laptop. And besides, I believe they are also in violation of Apple's TOS which is enough to C&D, without needing to use DMCA rationale.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree that Psystar was a shady and illegitimate organization and needed to cease and desist.

But please don't invoke DMCA as rationale - that horrible piece of legislation also makes it illegal for me to make a backup copy of a DVD that I bought fair and square to my laptop. And besides, I believe they are also in violation of Apple's TOS which is enough to C&D, without needing to use DMCA rationale.

I agree on the DCMA part, but they were breaking Apples copy protection and the court cited the DCMA, so I am just stating what the court got them for.

Reaction score
I agree on the DCMA part, but they were breaking Apples copy protection and the court cited the DCMA, so I am just stating what the court got them for.

Huh, interesting. I actually didn't follow it closely enough to know that was what the judge ended up ruling in Apple's favor for.

I wonder if anyone on here ever bought a Psystar machine. Might be a collector's item now, LOL. Although that would bring up even more sticky legality questions if one who purchased one were to want to sell it used to someone else.

My guess is Apple will end up rendering them useless at some point anyway through a software update. Although I did hear they only actually shipped like 800 units, which is pretty amusing.

Had Apple given them their blessing, they probably would have sold like gangbusters. But they sure learned their lesson on letting clones OEM their software back in the mid-nineties. What a pile of junk those clones were. I remember seeing them in Best Buy, and they weren't even that much cheaper than Apple's systems. But that was when Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy and so they had to do what they could to try to pull some revenue.

Makes me think about what an interesting saga that company has been through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if anyone on here ever bought a Psystar machine. Might be a collector's item now

From a article i read in Aust MW, i believe in one of the conditions as well is they have to TRY and recall all that were sent out.

And if its only 800 machines, shouldnt be too hard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Technically, they are not closed down. The website temporarily closed for the weekend but was back up and running on Monday (although they don't have much of anything to sell now). Here's a brief news story about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
LMAO @ their stupid t-shirts and panhandling.

Reaction score
you people are so silly.

The laws of supply and demand dictates one thing above all else... if there is a demand there will be a supply.
Merry christmas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you people are so silly.

Lets play nice .... And by the way what has supply and demand got to do with illegally putting  software into a not  product, and the end product a Hackintosh ???

Where are you going with that post

From a silly person

Cheers

Reaction score
Lets play nice .... And by the way what has supply and demand got to do with illegally putting  software into a not  product, and the end product a Hackintosh ???

Where are you going with that post

From a silly person

Cheers

people demand OSX on computers other than macs. So what does that have to do with this post you ask? psystar put osx on computers, psystar is now closed down.

People here are very happy about that which in my opinion is silly. Because if there was no demand for psystar's product they never would have gone into business in the first place and they never would have stayed in business as long as they did.

Now lets take any "illegal product" which currently sells on a "black market." So long as there is a demand for said "illegal product" there will be a supply for said "illegal product."

Now even when the main provider of any given illegal product is arrested, killed, destroyed, dismantled, or handed a cease and desist order the demand remains. So when the demand remains there will be people whom will swoop in to fill that demand. So rejoice if you will that psystar is no more, but it is only a matter of time before someone swoops in to fill the void left by psystar's demise.

So what all this amounts to is this....

apple is going to be fighting a never ending and unwinable war against this for as long as they refuse to allow people to install OSX on other computers. When the RIAA and the MPAA sued napster into non-existence "napster" broke up into billions of little tiny pieces.... When the U.S. topples a drug lord is South America the organization breaks off into little tiny pieces and starts over.... and by doing so becomes even harder to combat.

Those examples may be a bit extreme to some, but given some thought and consideration about the likely future of hackintosh market and distribution schemes which will no doubt pop up, you'll see that they apply to this situation as well.

any questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well for a company that was in business for so long as you stated, they only sold 800 machines if memory doesnt fail me.

i cant really see how that is demand ?? 10,000 machines and i probably would agree with you but come on 800 ... Me dont thinks so.

And those examples are extreme and i can see the demand was there for there business to continue...
So in the end 800 hackintosh machines from Psystar for the amount of time they where operating isnt really demand so why supply !!!

Reaction score
Well for a company that was in business for so long as you stated, they only sold 800 machines if memory doesnt fail me.

i cant really see how that is demand ?? 10,000 machines and i probably would agree with you but come on 800 ... Me dont thinks so.

And those examples are extreme and i can see the demand was there for there business to continue...
So in the end 800 hackintosh machines from Psystar for the amount of time they where operating isnt really demand so why supply !!!

800 is plenty of demand. for a company with low over head

The problem with psystar was their computers were as expensive as macs to begin with.

however if you REALLY want to know about hackintosh and why the market for it is so large and underground (and believe me it's HUGE)... it's for one reason only, because apple doesn't make a netbook. But dell and many other's do. *winks*

Merry Christmas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 is plenty of demand. for a company with low over head

The problem with psystar was their computers were as expensive as macs to begin with.

however if you REALLY want to know about hackintosh and why the market for it is so large and underground (and believe me it's HUGE)... it's for one reason only, because apple doesn't make a netbook. But dell and many other's do. *winks*

Merry Christmas

Well i like 's business plan and love the way they have been able to keep there OS in there own Hardware. Good on them and continue the good work, and no im not interested in the underground market at all, but in the end everyone has there own opinions and likes and dislikes .....
Bottom line Im happy to see them go and Im really not SILLY ;P
Take care and a festive cheer to you :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
DirectEuphorium, it's not worth it to argue with these guys. They just don't fully comprehend to the fullest why people would want OSX on what they probably deem inferior hardware. So to them anyone peddling said inferior hardware is the devil to them.

I on the other hand support open computing and would love to see Apple either start entering the realms where their software is desired or lease the software to select manufacturers. In other words, a lot of us (that are mostly unacknowledged by those that can afford Apple hardware) want the security and stability of OSX on our netbooks and cheap desktops. As much as I would love a brand new Mac, I cannot afford one, but I can pick up decent spec'd PC's for a fraction of the price on Craigslist or even building new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.