How do I cancel an application when it "freezes?"

Reaction score
I love my 2 month old MacBook Pro 15, but ironically I've had more applications freeze on it than my old Windows XP notebook.

When a program would freeze in XP, I could press CTL-ALT-DEL and then simply click "End Task" to shut down that single program.

How do I shut down an application that freezes on my Mac (I have Snow Leopard OS)? Currently, I am holding down the power button and shutting off the entire computer, then restarting. But I would like to just shut down the frozen app by itself.

Thanks,
Doug
Charlotte, NC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
Press command, option, esc and you'll get a list of apps

Reaction score
Thanks I wondered that too. I'm gad I'm reading all the forums. :)

Ginny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You do a hard shutdown when an app freezes? What kind of careless un... urgh nevermind. You've been told how to do a command quit...

Well, I guess I can see how if you didn't know how to command quit why you would need to reboot. It won't let you reboot without a hard shutdown, but still... yikes. You might want to repair permissions a few times to see if you can fix the damage you may have caused to your system files.

Reaction score
You can also click the apple icon up in the left corner and then select "Force Quit". It brings up the same dialog box.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Or right click and hold on the app in the dock. It should give you the option to force quit. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Repairing disk permissions might fix his Apps crashing on him too .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.