Keeping and importing music on external HD

Reaction score
I am a new Mac user as of 1 month ago and am enjoying my new MBP. I have read through many threads but have not been able to find an answer to my situation.

For years I have collected music and have copied all of my cd's into an external hard drive using windows media player. When I had my PC I was able to import to the hard drive and export music into iTunes whenever I wanted something new to listen to.

I have went through the pain of copying all of my music (over 200 GB) and reformatting the external HD to work with my new computer.

I would like to be able to continue to import to my external HD and if I choose, import that file or folder into iTunes when I want to listen to it on my iPod.

What program or programs can I use to accomplish this?

Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
Clay-

Thank you. That is a great article with a ton of information. At this point I still want to keep my files controlled separately.

I look at this the same way with my photos. I have years of photos on another hard drive that I can save my pics to. The photos that I want to edit I can then import into iPhoto.

I really am just looking for something other than iTunes that will allow me to copy a CD into my external hard drive.

Happy Holidays.

Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
Another option as far as ripping your CD's onto your HDD is a free program for mac called Max. It's a great ripping program and allows you to specify the format and location of your cd rips. I use it all the time and have be satisfied with it. Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'll second Max too, Excellent and very versatile indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
Can you put ripped files into your iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.