How to roll back to 1.7 EFI Firmware?

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just updated my late 2008 Macbook Pro to EFI Firmware v1.8, and am finding that suddenly my Firewire audio interface can't play a single thing without crackling, even in simple programs like Media Player, on my Boot Camp partition.

Using firmware version 1.7, everything was just fine. How does one roll back to an earlier firmware version? Does it have to be done by an Apple Tech?

Thanks!
HK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to run this by Apple support. My guess is unless you can get hold of the EFI 1.7 firmware and be able to apply it, you're pretty much stuck with 1.8. A firmware revision, especially one designed for EFI applies the update to read only memory (ROM). It's not like a software program that can be easily removed.

If you don't have Apple care, your free 90 day call in support has probably expired. Your best bet may be to ask in the Apple sponsored forum:

LINK

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.