G4 processor pins / compatibility with other G4s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
does the G4 500-733mhz processor in the blue G4 use the same pins as the chrome front G4 w/ 1.25ghz DP.

I have a chrome g4 with a bad PSU and a completely working blue g4, I was wondering if I can just pull the processor out of the chrome front and drop it into the blue one and make it a DP 1.25ghz.

any help would be appreciated. If no one knows I will just do it and see if they match or anything and post my results for anyones future reference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The processor pins may well be the same, the problem you will get is that the two processors are on daughter cards that expect to talk to a main board bus running at a certain speed

The bus speeds are different in those 2 machines, so a processor swap will not work

OP
johnnyFIVE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
The processor pins may well be the same, the problem you will get is that the two processors are on daughter cards that expect to talk to a main board bus running at a certain speed

The bus speeds are different in those 2 machines, so a processor swap will not work

Across the quicksilver, chrome front, and blue one, they are all completely different with the "daughter card" I guess its called. It was interesting seeing it all taken apart, for sure a bit different than any PCs I am used to seeing.

I ended up coming across a few quicksilvers with bad power supplies and etc... so I was able to build out a G4 Quicksilver with dual 800mhz processors which is apparently the top dog for that model. lol.

someone posted mactracker in a different thread, that program has been very helpful. dont remember who I will go hunt them down and add rep to them later.. lol

I plan to load up the newest version of OSX I have on this machine and see how it does when setup as a media server at my house and just something to mess around with. I wonder if it can handle a 500gb hard drive? wonder how it will do hooked up to a TV.

The machines arent that bad to take apart. Not complicated at all. The only thing that was kind of pain was the sigh..... have to take that out to get this out. not a huge deal though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Late 2009) Mac Mini 10.9.5, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
xyxyz. Would like to delete this, but can't find delete option.... My racing message boards are a little more straight forward.

OP
johnnyFIVE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
My G4 croaked Friday morning and I'm looking to part it out or sell the tower complete if someone wants to make an offer. Its a G4 MDD, with dual 1.25 GHZ processors. It has 2 GIG of ram about 6 weeks old in it and a 512 strip I'd sell with it. The HD failed friday morning and I bought a new Mac Mini. I also have a "New" in the box retail version of Leopard (10.5.6) thats never been registered I bought Thursday on ebay before the crash. I'm looking to recover some of my expenses. I bought the G4 new in 2004. PM me if anyone needs/wants what I've got.

Chip

you may want to post something in buy/sell/trade.

the mods will get upset with you for something like this although it looks like you just posted it yesterday. Typically youll get a warning for posting stuff for sale in a normal thread.

sometimes I just feel like im getting picked on and called a "spammer"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Late 2009) Mac Mini 10.9.5, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
you may want to post something in buy/sell/trade.

the mods will get upset with you for something like this although it looks like you just posted it yesterday. Typically youll get a warning for posting stuff for sale in a normal thread.

sometimes I just feel like im getting picked on and called a "spammer"

My bad, I'm still pretty new on here, about a week. I just saw your post and thought you might have some interest. Thanks for the heads up, I'm not looking to get in any trouble.

Chip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.