iMac Startup Problem

Reaction score
Hey, my Imac 24" 2.4ghz was smoke damaged a little while back, I totally dissassembled it and cleaned every part with alcohol and q tips, I put it back together and voila it worked just fine for 3 months of normal heavy use. Until yesterday, It just shut down and wont power on. It starts, the cd rom drive cycles like it usually does before the chime, but no chime, no lcd display, just sits at a black screen with no fans or anything running. I unplugged it and let it sit overnight and tried it and same thing cd rom clicks and doesnt start. Has anyone encountered this problem and what was the fix. I'm thinking power supply, but the cd-rom shouldn't do anything if that is bunk. Any suggestions before I tear it apart again and buy a new power supply and try that. I am on my powerbook 12'' 1.5 ghz go figure my new computer broke first.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the SuperDrive is spinning up when you turn the machine on, it's probably not the power supply. If you're up to taking the machine apart again, look closely around the power switch area for dirty contacts (possibly left over from the smoke damage). You could also have a dead logic board. :(

After that, it's hard to say. Smoke damage to electronic equipment usually means tossing whatever was damaged in the trash bin and collecting the insurance money. Once smoke residue gets into a machine it's almost impossible to remove it all.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I Took the machine apart, at the bottom of the logic board is four status lights, when I push the power on button three leds light up, I assume the logic board works if the status lights light up on it does this make sense? Do you have any inkling what that could mean? Thanks for the help so far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.