Audio in/out MBP 13 inch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
I just bought a brand spanking new Macbook Pro 13inch! It's great, time to totally ditch PCs now!!!

One question I have, my MBP only has an output and no line in, now I know I can set that output to work as an input in the system prefs, but my question is this: can I get an adapter that allows line out and in at the same time similar to the way it works when I plug my iphone headphones in? It detects my headphones with a mic and automatically plays the sound out and receives sound in from the mic on the headphones. So is there such an adapter? I will be using a proper interface for really professional recordings, so it's not an issue in that respect, but there are times when it would be really useful to have the option to record and monitor the input just relying on the core audio and not using an interface.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions are welcome.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
If I'm honest, which I generally am, I didn't even check that it had an in and out as I thought it an obvious yes! This lack of 'proness' has been argued other places on the net and the truth be told, anyone recording pro audio would, without doubt, use a firewire, or usb interface, so the fact that it hasn't got sperate ins and outs isn't as non-pro as people think - but I have to say I was a little shocked. I owned the thing 3 days before I noticed (whoops) still I could only afford a 13inch and it is sweet like chocolate! If I'm not mistaken, the Macbook 13 inch DOES have an seperate in and out!! I did look at one, but I didn't feel at home with all that plastic!!

But this takes me back to the question, there has to be an adapter, my iphone headphones work as an audio in and out at the same time, so all it would take is the same set up but with the mic input acting as a line in, has anyone come across such a cable? I seem to remember something like this that people were using with the iphone to record using a 4 track iphone app.

Any solutions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.