how can I open .zip.cpgz file?

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to open a .zip.cpgz file? When I double-click on it, it creates a .zip file. When I double-click on the .zip file, it creates a .zip.cpgz file. Back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
There are many posts on this issue (Google search) but no definitive solution to it. It's a compressed Unix file, but that's of little help to you.

If it's been sent to you as an attachment, ask the sender to repeat the process using a different file format, one that your Mac can open. Filejuicer File Juicer - Extract images from PDF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Files on Mac OS X *might* do the job but that .cpgz compression is likely to be the obstacle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Which version of OS X are you using? Archive Utility supports .cpgz (or .cpio.gz) files just fine (and I know it has since at least Leopard, though I think it has for much longer). Perhaps the archive is corrupt. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to use both, but I made a test .zip.cpgz file and when I double-clicked it (in Snow Leopard), it completely unarchived it to the original form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24": 4GB,1TB, Mac mini:2Gb,2GB,160GB;Snow Leopard;AirportExtreme and other bits.
Enough of this zip/cpgz fretting!

It seems that the Archive Utility, when faced with a corrupt/illnamed file, even if called '.zip', will then zip it up** anyway as .zip.cpgz. This will unzip to .zip. Stuffit at least has the good sense to choke on the bum file and back out.

** or just rename it?

Try sending the prolbem.zip file to a pal with a Windows/Linux box to see what they can do. Probably also find it's damaged.

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Thank you all so much! This was way easier than I thought!! All I did was De-compress the .bin file which turned into a .cpgz file. Then I just changed the name of the .cpgz file to .pdf and it opened to what I needed. Wow! Just try that and dont go crazy! It worked ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.