Overclock the graphics?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Has anyone ever consider overclocking the graphics card in their Mac? I would love to be able to run some of my games on a higher setting in Windows 7 on Bootcamp, but some games just can't perform like i want them to, like GTA IV. My Mac's specs are listed below in my signature. What risks do i run if i choose to overclock it? I read that a good software is Riva tuner, which is designed specifically for the Nvidia Geforce series, like mine.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever consider overclocking the graphics card in their Mac? I would love to be able to run some of my games on a higher setting in Windows 7 on Bootcamp, but some games just can't perform like i want them to, like GTA IV. My Mac's specs are listed below in my signature. What risks do i run if i choose to overclock it? I read that a good software is Riva tuner, which is designed specifically for the Nvidia Geforce series, like mine.

If you overclock that card it might overheat. I'm pretty sure you cant replace it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all the GPU in a MBP is not a graphics card, it's a chipset integrated within the main logic board. And it's surface mounted.

To the OP: If you're willing to try Riva Tuner out, take a look here. But keep in mind if you blow the GPU in your MBP it will not be covered under any warranty by Apple. And since the GPU is integrated, that means you would have to swap out the entire logic board. A very expensive repair.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.