Logic Board or Video Card - some confirmation please...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, a friend of mine has an iBook G4 1.33 MHz, and it has decided to start crashing randomly, or the display is going lineated as in this picture>

photo.jpg

I personally think this is the logic board (again - it has a shim), but could it be the video card instead?

Opinions please, just to confirm my suspicions. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Since the video "card" is part of the logic board, it's both.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, ta. I guessed as much really, I am not sure whether the shimmed chip is directly responsible for the video aspect (I think not).
Time for an upgrade for him I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Unfortunately shim's don't last very long .. the more permanent fix on the G4 iBooks
is re-soldering the IC pin 1 and 27 I think on the bottom where the power cable is routed
and a re-flow on the video chip if done correctly will last for years to come..

but you could be right may just be time for an upgrade

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately shim's don't last very long .. the more permanent fix on the G4 iBooks
is re-soldering the IC pin 1 and 27 I think on the bottom where the power cable is routed
and a re-flow on the video chip if done correctly will last for years to come..

but you could be right may just be time for an upgrade

Yes, I have sent him a link for doing just that, he has a very useful neighbour, who builds circuit boards, so is a soldering wizz!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.