can i install Linux on the Mac too, without boot-camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X - Tiger. Version 10.4.11
I decided to buy my a new IMac with Snow-Leopard, for me private and professional use.
I gonna keep my older IMac who still runs Tiger 10.4.11, but as You now in my other tread, i have only 512MB.
Now the real question...
I run on 3 other computers in the Art-Studio Linux, i wonder, can i install Linux on the Mac to, without boot-camp... Insert me Linux disc and keep the C-Key in, is it possible to keep this Mac ? Than i don't have to give hem more memory and buy me Snow-Leopard and Office for Mac.
Thanks in advance for any advice. ;D
Fredo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Yeah...you can either set it up as a dual-boot, or run it virtually through a program like VirtualBox.

OP
Fredo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...you can either set it up as a dual-boot, or run it virtually through a program like VirtualBox.
thanks, i have to nice machines than... New one and older one, but still's a good machine.
Greetings,
Fredo

OP
Fredo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dauber or anyone who is technical enough to give my advice...
Have looking for VirtualBox to run Linux on me older IMac...
But, can i run Linux ONLY on this computer, what i mean is, insert the Linux-Disc, hold the C-Key down and install Linux ?
So i must not buy more memory, new Snow-Leopard and Office.
The new Mac can run Snow-Leopard, those machines have all the newest hardware.
Greetings,
Fredo

Reaction score
VirtualBox will only run on an Intel-based Mac - not sure what kind of older Mac you have, so just noting that for your information.

OP
Fredo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VirtualBox will only run on an Intel-based Mac - not sure what kind of older Mac you have, so just noting that for your information.
Intel Core Duo with 512MB, With the grey apple You now.
Good computer, but the new ones are better.
Greetings,
Fredo

OP
Fredo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, a very good New Year to everyone...
I have installed, not Ubuntu, but Mandriva 2010 - Gnome version on me older IMac.
With succes. That machine has a new life now, and i can consider to buy a new Mac.
Thank all for the help. ;)
Greetings,
Fredo

OP
Fredo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And for now, i try to run Linux on me older Machine... But Tiger runs much better on this machine.
Good. I gonna buy more memory and run the Apple software on it.
For my other 2 computers in the Art-Studio, well i run Linux on those, more specific, MEPIS-Linux, very stable and good. One computer from my wife is Mandriva installed.
Gave all what i need.
My old Dell is me test-computer. ( For my free hours when i am not drawing )
At the moment i can do not much, because i was in the clinic for an operation on my shoulder.
What i now is that Apple stay's Apple and on other computers it is much better to run Linux.
Greetings,
Fredo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.