such and such quit unexpectedly...

Reaction score
...itunes quit unexpectedly
...indesign quit unexpectedly
...safari quit unexpectedly
...word quit unexpectedly
...quicktime quit unexpectedly
...photoshop quit unexpectedly

....a daily occurrence now, my new MBP reminds me exactly why I quit using PC all those years ago. ***!

I have never had such a disappointing mac product.

running 10.6.2
and totally underwhelmed by my $2000+ investment, too many beachballs, too many program crashes and way too slow, is this a general concern
thats been noted, I am hoping its just new platform problems that will be resolved in the near future, ...?? anyone else having similar issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I use my Mac many hours every day. I run a variety of applications, including all those mentioned in your post. Yes, I've seen the ".... quit unexpectedly" error message a few times. But honestly, not more often than once every two months or so. I've never had it hang the computer. It just politely dumps the application and puts me back to the Desktop, or whatever underlying app I have open at the time. No big deal. If your Mac is doing this regularly, then something is wrong with your system. I'd start trying to fix it by doing a super maintenance/cleaning. Run all the Onyx maintenance routines. Delete all the ".plist" files associated with the apps that have caused you trouble. Reset the PRAM and NVRAM. Dfrag the hard drive. Take all nonessentials off your Login Items list.

Reaction score
Me too!

It's the craziest thing... and affects a large variety of programs. iTunes is the most reliably unreliable, but other things (skype, papers, matlab, neooffice, and the iLife suite) are also crashing without provocation. Mail and firefox fare better. Purging playlists, and even reinstalling programs doesn't seem to solve anything. I'll try those onyx tools suggested above...

Started seeing the problems with a New Mac Book Pro in October, which runs 10.6.2. By the way, the problem affected 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 equally. The old Mac Book Pro from 2007 running Tiger never had this problem.

Anyone know what's up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
I agree with you bro. Snow leopard is not more reliable and stable than leopard as apple claims. There are lots of bugs out there. I think snow leopard will be ready on 10.6.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
...itunes quit unexpectedly
...indesign quit unexpectedly
...safari quit unexpectedly
...word quit unexpectedly
...quicktime quit unexpectedly
...photoshop quit unexpectedly

....a daily occurrence now, my new MBP reminds me exactly why I quit using PC all those years ago. ***!

I have never had such a disappointing mac product.

running 10.6.2
and totally underwhelmed by my $2000+ investment, too many beachballs, too many program crashes and way too slow, is this a general concern
thats been noted, I am hoping its just new platform problems that will be resolved in the near future, ...?? anyone else having similar issues?

I haven't had such issues. Have you tried running some maintenance utilities? If not, grab Onyx and run through the cache cleaners and others to see if this helps. If not, I'd wager you have some rogue app running that is causing some instability. That, or some buggy hardware. Exactly how long have you had this MBP, and have you done anything yourself like upgrade the RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Honestly i had more problems with Leopard than SL in the short time i had both.
Adding to lifeisabeach comment as Oynx you can try THIS free version of MainMenu. I personally like it better than Oynx having used both, and its simple to use. Just dont check "spotlight re-indexing or remove .DS_Store files" and you should be right.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Do you, by chance, have Windows on your Mac too?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.