Need Some Ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Tomorrow for my Web Design mid term exam, I chose to edit a photo (do not ask me why it's in Web Design, but whatever :p

I decided to choose the YouTube logo, and change that around. At the moment, I am removing the white space that surrounds the logo, and I was wanting to do a reflection and fool around with some lighting effects.

But I am looking into something more detailed, to go along with what I have in mind. Since I do not have much experience in Photoshop doing cool little tricks, maybe some of you could help pitch me some ideas of what to do to this logo.

You won't need to explain the procedure (although you can if you want to or need to), I can look that up, but I will need some explanation of what your idea is so I can start somewhere.

The photo I pulled from Google Images has a resolution fit for a desktop background, so the lettering can be enlarged without becoming blurry. I am removing the white space from the logo, so mainly ideas that revolve around the background, lighting, effects, coloring, and adding particles would best fit this project.

I am open to any ideas, so throw em' all out there!

Thank you all in advance

This is just a general mock up of what I am aiming for. Gradient background, reflection, and shadow under the object.

sketchcopy.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Tomorrow for my Web Design mid term exam, I chose to edit a photo (do not ask me why it's in Web Design, but whatever :p
Because a Web Designer still needs to know how to prepare graphics for web pages.
A Designer needs skills and talents with things like typography, hierarchy, grid structure, image editing, color theory, Gestalt principles, etc.
Not to mention at least basic skills with HTML and CSS.

A Web Developer is one who wouldn't have to worry too much about any of those aforementioned skills.
A Developer needs to be highly skilled in things like XML, Javascript, ASP...etc.

To sum up:

Designer = visuals and graphic aspects
Developer = coding and all of the "technical" side of things

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Because a Web Designer still needs to know how to prepare graphics for web pages.
A Designer needs skills and talents with things like typography, hierarchy, grid structure, image editing, color theory, Gestalt principles, etc.
Not to mention at least basic skills with HTML and CSS.

A Web Developer is one who wouldn't have to worry too much about any of those aforementioned skills.
A Developer needs to be highly skilled in things like XML, Javascript, ASP...etc.

To sum up:

Designer = visuals and graphic aspects
Developer = coding and all of the "technical" side of things

Ah okay, I see now. It was just almost random because we have been doing coding this whole semester (HTML, CSS, PHP) and then one of the options on the final was to edit a photo. But I see why now, thanks. I knew you would help out with something in this department (I was almost waiting for it ;) )

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this morning I worked on the project, and this is what I did:

BEFORE

Before.jpg

AFTER

After.jpg

Took me about an hour of completion, including fooling around with the layers, re-doing things, and lots of trial and error. Simple to do though, but time consuming. Hope it's decent. My instructor liked it, and after turning it in he wanted me to tell him how to accomplish this. I do not know why, nothing too special about it, haha. If the reflection doesn't look lined up, it's because I didn't use the ruler. Forgot :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well if the teacher likes it...I guess that's what is important for now.

That seems like a super easy final...hard to believe it took an hour to do.

Whenever I need a logo I go here. Pretty much already done for you. Don't need to remove backgrounds or whatever. Just rasterize and add production value (details).

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if the teacher likes it...I guess that's what is important for now.

That seems like a super easy final...hard to believe it took an hour to do.

Whenever I need a logo I go here. Pretty much already done for you. Don't need to remove backgrounds or whatever. Just rasterize and add production value (details).

Thanks for that link, bookmarked it.

It was really easy. I messed up a couple times, too. When I got to applying the outer glow, I forgot to do it to the reflection, so I had to delete the layer and redo the entire thing. Also, I think some time was taken up because everyone was oogling my MacBook, and in turn me demonstrating a few features.

Yes, it was very easy, I was surprised that instead of coding a website like we have done this whole semester, I had the choice of editing a photo? :Confused:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks for that link, bookmarked it.

It was really easy. I messed up a couple times, too. When I got to applying the outer glow, I forgot to do it to the reflection, so I had to delete the layer and redo the entire thing. Also, I think some time was taken up because everyone was oogling my MacBook, and in turn me demonstrating a few features.

Yes, it was very easy, I was surprised that instead of coding a website like we have done this whole semester, I had the choice of editing a photo? :Confused:

If only my finals where that easy. >_<"

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only my finals where that easy. >_<"

Haha, well this semester was basic web design. Next semester I am taking advanced web design, as well as advanced programming (C++). So Next semester will be much harder, most likely. I had little freshmen and sophomores in my class, so I imagine it was supposed to be easy ;D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, well this semester was basic web design. Next semester I am taking advanced web design, as well as advanced programming (C++). So Next semester will be much harder, most likely. I had little freshmen and sophomores in my class, so I imagine it was supposed to be easy ;D

Where do you go to school? Our school is very heavy on print design, and our web design classes are a joke. They make us take them, and most of the people going into the classes know nothing about coding or the software. These classes are 400+ level and almost everyone going in has never touched Dreamweaver or Flash in their lives.

I'm very bored when I'm in class before I already know all the stuff that is being taught, and web design isn't even my area of emphasis. >_<"

Doesn't help that they only offer two web design classes too. One is Dreamweaver which is coding + design, more design than coding...and then Flash which is all Action script with very little design. >_>"

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do you go to school? Our school is very heavy on print design, and our web design classes are a joke. They make us take them, and most of the people going into the classes know nothing about coding or the software. These classes are 400+ level and almost everyone going in has never touched Dreamweaver or Flash in their lives.

I'm very bored when I'm in class before I already know all the stuff that is being taught, and web design isn't even my area of emphasis. >_<"

Trinity High School. It's a college prep school, and for a ("minimal") fee, we can transfer some of our credit hours to most colleges. I do not know what the advanced classes are like, but I suspect it will a little more difficult, if not then a lot more information to cover.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trinity High School. It's a college prep school, and for a ("minimal") fee, we can transfer some of our credit hours to most colleges. I do not know what the advanced classes are like, but I suspect it will a little more difficult, if not then a lot more information to cover.

So basically it's like an AP College class? I wish we had that for Web design/Graphic Design in high school. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
Cuhnool, Go Tigers! Class of 2003.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically it's like an AP College class? I wish we had that for Web design/Graphic Design in high school. >_>"

In a way. The IT classes Trinity provides are all AP level.

And LelandJLK, I'm sure it feels nice for your football team to finally wear a championship ring after 4 years ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, along with a fall sweep in every sport!

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:p we lost everyone that was good this year, and we had the thorpe. So yeah we just fell through our cloud 9, haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excuses...I have plenty of those with the past 4 yrs. in football. Glad to see this has turned into an off-topic discussion from your original post. Good luck with your exams.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excuses...I have plenty of those with the past 4 yrs. in football. Glad to see this has turned into an off-topic discussion from your original post. Good luck with your exams.

haha! It has, but that's okay because I already turned in the project this morning for the exam. And thanks! I have a religion and Spanish exam tomorrow, the XMAS BREAK!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.