Decision re Macbook running VM Fusion

Reaction score
Hi there Mac gurus!

I am about to take the plunge and purchase a Mac for the first time. My PC just died. I am a business user disgusted with Windows. The only thing I will use it for is word processing, billing clients and web browsing. Neither my printer nor any of my software is compatible with MAC so I would be spending a fortune to replace printer, Microsoft Office, Timeslips legal billing, scanning program if I ditched them. Instead, I plan to to install Vm Fusion and Windows XP and at least at first be running almost all Windows programs. I have heard that the VM Fusion rcauses Windows programs to run fairly slow. I am looking at the Macbook or Macbook Pro. Do they have enough juice to run these progarms without being frustratingly slow? Thans a bunch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
If you are going to be running these programs through VM Fusion then I would get a macbook pro. But might I also suggest that you perhaps install windows through bootcamp if you are worried about speed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Neither my printer nor any of my software is compatible with MAC so I would be spending a fortune to replace printer, Microsoft Office, Timeslips legal billing, scanning program if I ditched them. Instead, I plan to to install Vm Fusion and Windows XP and at least at first be running almost all Windows programs.
Honestly, if you're going to be using it as a Windows machine most of the time, buy a Windows machine. There is no need to buy a Mac if you never intend to use it as a Mac. Don't spend more money than you need to just to have to find workarounds to use what you need to use.

Reaction score
sograteful,

I'm getting great performance running Windows 7 on Fusion 3.0.1. Unless you need to run graphics-intensive applications, you should should be fine with the performance you get from a Windows virtual machine on a Mac.

Having said that, it still Windows. I say that because you said that you are fed up with Windows. I was fed up with Windows too - that is why I bought a Mac. I only run Windows when I have to - most of my applications are installed on OSX. As a result, I'm having less issues with Windows than I did on a PC because I have less installed on Windows now. In fact, I'm enjoying Windows 7 on my Mac!!! Because it's Windows, you will still have all the issues (virus threats, etc's) that come with it.

Reaction score
I agree with the above posters, including the suggestion to stay with Windows if that's what you are going to use. Having said that, I think Windows 7 is MUCH better than previous versions and you may find that upgrading to it suffices for you. That would be cheapest.

If you get a Mac (and believe me, I own a bunch and love them!), either the macbook or any of the macbook pros will run virtual machines just fine. For example, I run Windows (2 flavors) and Ubuntu linux on an older "blackbook" macbook with just 2 GB of RAM, for Office, surfing and productivity applications (no gaming, video editing or stuff like that) - and it runs at what appears to be normal speed to me.

So, get what you like but I would suggest you get a bit more RAM, perhaps 4 GB, so that you can allocate a fair amount to your virtual machine while still allocating enough back to the Mac side.

Good luck. You may well find that a full switchover is less expensive than you think as you get familiar.

Also, you should read the "switcher's guide" sticky on this thread for more info.

cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
I ordered a MACbook

thanks for all your input! I ended ordering a Macbook. I could not justify the major price difference between that and the Macbook Pro 13: I got the MACbook online for an unbelievable price-after rebates it was $869 total (no extra for taxes or shipping. )In addition they threw in the following for free: VMFusion version 3.0 value $69, a HP all in one color printer value $69, and a free TARGUS carrying case value $50. Thus the computer itself cost only $679! ;D

At this price I did not think I was overpaying for a MAC over a new PC. Also, I tried a new PC Windows 7 last week and hated it. I can t wait to start using my MAC. I will purchase 2GB Ram to up the power a bit. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.