Mac Equivalent to Windows All Users

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question and the answer is most likely obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I am installing several freeware programs on my Tiger Imac. I'm placing the programs in the Applications folder. I then created aliases for these apps and placed them on the desktop. I would other users who login to this Mac to have the icons appear on their desktop when they login.

Under Windows, I can do with by placing shortcuts to icons in the AllUsers folder. Is there a Mac equivalent to that?

Thanks,

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
You can make sure the applications are installed for all users, but I don't know of any way to change other user's desktops. I'm no expert, so I may be wrong, but I'd say your best bet would be to make sure the applications were installed for all users, then just create the aliases on each individual desktop.

Like I said, there may be a way I don't know of.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can modify the new user template, but that will only affect users created after you add those items.

For existing users, you can do as Corbab suggested and manually add the aliases.

Or just teach them how to use the darned computer. Give a man a fish....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.