Clean Instal without disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Ok so I am taking my old 1st gen macbook home for Christmas, not my Macbook Pro. The Macbook has not been used in months and after messing around with it I really want to format and clean install, however the disk drive is busted. Is there anyway to do a clean install, or format or reinstall without using the disk drive?

Thanks
Adam

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy an external USB or Firewire SuperDrive. As long as you have your original install DVD media you can boot from the external drive and do a clean install.

Regards.

OP
Laytonx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
is there anyway i could boot from a usb hardrive and do it that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, because you need your original install media to do a clean install. And I don't believe running a disk image from an external USB hard drive will work.

Can't you borrow an external DVD drive from someone? Once you get the system reinstalled you can always clone or back it up to an external HD.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I think you could use your MBP as the external HD by doing one of those Target boot up thingamajigs. I've never done that, but maybe someone here could tell you more about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.