• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I Finally Switched!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
No, not from PCs to Mac. I did that about 3 years ago. Today I called up and cancelled my cable TV service, went down and bought a Mac Mini and a 46" Sony HDTV. I'm going to watch my video programs off the internet from now on. That will work fine for me because I don't watch sports or news. I'll get all the movies, serial episodes, and other "TV" content I want off Hulu, Sling and other websites, as well as an occasional "rented" movie from iTunes Store and others. The best thing about it? I'll be saving $50 a month by canceling the cable TV, and that will pay for the new equipment in slightly more than 3 years. What a deal!

Let me know your experiences with online video entertainment sources, your favorites, and anything unusual that I might miss on my own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Great! Glad that's working out for you. I personally have had good experiences with online entertainment. There are many websites that I can live stream for news, sports, movies, and shows and many websites where I can download free HD movies. For sports (I'm a huge basketball fan) I usually go to atdhe.net (but this gave my PC a virus the first time, but now it's fine) or channelsurfing.net. These websites not only give you sports but other things like TV shows or movies (these are live-stream websites so it freezes sometimes depending on how well the connection to the bandwidth is).

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Ballr24, could you post links to a few of your favorite media sites? Just to get me started. Or, maybe you know of a website that already lists those sites, and you could post that link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I haven't personally used this yet, but I've seen others on here talk about Miro.
Not sure exactly what sort of TV shows it provides, but since you don't have cable anymore, it might be something you're interested in.

This is the description from their website:

"Miro is a free HD video player.
It can play almost any video file and offers over 6,000 free internet TV shows and video podcasts.

Miro has a simple, gorgeous interface designed for fullscreen HD video. Since Miro downloads most videos, you can take your shows with you, even on an airplane. Quite simply, Miro is a better way to watch all the video you care about.

Best of all, Miro is 100% free and open source, developed by a non-profit organization and volunteers around the world."

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK! Thanks for the links. I didn't know about them, except for Miro which I had forgotten about. I can't wait to get started on this. Any more suggestions will be welcomed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Status report: I got it hooked up and running this evening, Mac Mini and a Sony 46" Bravia. I watched a feature length movie off Sling, and an episode of CSI. The picture quality is great, and I get edge to edge full screen images. I am very happy with the set up so far. FYI, I'm using a DVI to HDMI connection from the Mini to the Sony.

I'm still looking for suggestions on where to find more online video. If you have a favorite, please post it here.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to tell my hubby about this. Thanks !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.