• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting WMV files for editing in iMovie

Reaction score
I have a new camcorder (a Canon Vixia HV30). I tried to download video from the camera on to my iMac using a firewire cable but the Mac didn't recognize the connection. I bought a different firewire cable and was able to download the video on to a PC, no problem. However, the video is now in WMV format and I need to edit it in iMovie. Should I get a program for the PC that will convert the WMV file to .mp4 or should I get a program for the Mac to do that conversion? And what's the best program for this? Thank you so much for your help - this has been an ordeal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
i am in the exact same situation and i also would like to know the answer to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Download a program for the Mac called Flip4Mac WMV (it's free), install the program, (this will enable your mac to recognise .wmv and be able to play the video in Quicktime), open the video in quicktime, then click File > Save As... and save it to your desktop as an .avi

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz
Download a program for the Mac called Flip4Mac WMV (it's free), install the program, (this will enable your mac to recognise .wmv and be able to play the video in Quicktime), open the video in quicktime, then click File > Save As... and save it to your desktop as an .avi

- Simon

im going through the same situation and yes you can do this but! when you import the video into imovie or pretty much any program (editor, converter etc.) a message comes up saying "a flip4mac watermark will be left because its the demo version." leaving you at square 1 again. ...frustrating. the only solution ive found so far is to convert it on your PC and then import the converted version onto your mac. except now i want to know what would the best file type be to convert the WMV to? / thread-jack mouahaha! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The free version of Flip4Mac will let you play wmv's, but to convert them to other formats you need to upgrade to a better version. Mov's are the easiest to work with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.