• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting movie files on a Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to record a video on my Mac. I downloaded Snapz Pro X which allows me to produce videos with audio. However, the movies are saved as .mov files and when I sent the video to someone with windows the audio was not included. Should I convert the files to a different type (i.e .avi or mpeg) and what software should I download for this? I know quicktime pro allows video files to be exported and converted, but I don't want to purchase it if converting the files is not a viable solution.

Anyone have experience with this??

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The reason the audio probably isn't playing on the Windows computer is the lack of a proper codec. Downloading a codec pack should fix the problem, especially if the file is working fine on your computer.

The mp4 format is pretty much universally supported (assuming your friend has Vista or Windows 7). Try using a program called Handbrake to convert your movie. If you want to use avi or mpeg, then use a free program called ffmpegx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Crusty old Snapz! You can choose the latest H.264 video codec, but are stuck with older audio codecs. Ambrosia Software has done the minimum to that software product. People looking for screen capture programs are now buying the new generation products.

You need to investigate the video and audio codecs used. Open the file in QuickTime Player and do a Command-I to see that information. I suspect the audio is some older codec that might not be expected with the video codec, thereby throwing off the software on the Windows system. Is it QuickTime on the Windows box?

Codecs to try might be Sorenson 3 for video with IMA 4:1 audio, or H.264 with ACC audio. If you don't have QuickTime Pro, then try using iMovie to convert the file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi xstep,

Here is the formatting info I pulled up on Quicktime when I played the movie:

H.264, 1271 x 646, Millions
IMA 4:1, Mono, 22.050 kHz
IMA 4:1, Mono, 22.050 kHz

So the codecs you mentioned above should be checked out by my friends with Windows to solve the audio issues?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What I suggested is that you fix the problem for your friend. Try opening the file in iMovie and save it as QuickTime using H.264 and ACC using the 'Export Using QuicTime...' option. See my guide on how to do that.

You can ask your friend if they have tried using QuickTime Player a free download from Apple. I'm curious because that worked for me on a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.