OSX10.3.9 on Power PCG5, upgrade to Leopard possible?

Reaction score
I have 2005 iMac 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5. 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM
Currently running 10.3.9
What is the latest version I can upgrade to and where is the best place to locate a copy of the software? I read about people selling incomplete copies. What do I look for?
Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have 2005 iMac 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5. 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM
Currently running 10.3.9
What is the latest version I can upgrade to and where is the best place to locate a copy of the software? I read about people selling incomplete copies. What do I look for?
Thanks!

Yes you can upgrade to Leopard.

The last & final version is 10.5.8. But you can purchase any version, and upgrade it to 10.5.8 for free via the internet (software update).

Best place to get it is probably eBay?

You want the black disks with a big "X" on it...NOT the grey/silver disks.

A copy from eBay will probably run you $100-$120+ dollars.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
what you are looking for is a retail version of Leopard.... it will look somewhat like this (image below), depending on the version of 10.5
As long as they are retail version, you are set, and you can run the software update to go as high as 10.5.8 once installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
sorry pigoo3... saw your post there only after I hit post. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.