ebook readers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
anyone know anything about ebook readers?

my fiance loves reading and reads a book literally every week. I didnt want to get her the kindle, but I was considering the new sony pocket reader.

Any of you guys know anything about these. I heard the sony one is more open source friendly so it would have more books available to it.

any help is really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Amazing devices, I was considering one for a while. Did not purchase because quite simply I cannot finish anything I start ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My wife has a Kindle. It's a pretty nice device. I can recommend it.
Amazon also has a version of their reader for the iPhone which I use.
You won't get any better prices on any current copyrighted material anywhere.

The new Sony reader does offer compatibility with a couple of more formats that are being used by authors that are publishing independently.

As will the Barnes & Noble device that is on it's way to the market and sounds like it's going to be a pretty nice ereader also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If ebook prices went down just a little bit I would totally invest in a Kindle or nook. But as of right now, if I can purchase a physical book for the same price as an ebook, then I'm going with physical.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If ebook prices went down just a little bit I would totally invest in a Kindle or nook. But as of right now, if I can purchase a physical book for the same price as an ebook, then I'm going with physical.

I weigh this also. I don't find new hardback releases at any of the stores I visit, including online, for $10. Don't save nearly as much once a book is released in paperback, typically only $1-3. Many of the independents offer no price difference between their ebook and the physical version.

Admittedly, it will take a long time to pay for any of the ereaders with the savings on book purchases. But, I've had a couple thousand+ linear foot of books in the house at one point, now down to only about 400 and another 20 boxes never unpacked from the last move... I like the concept a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's my thinking too. If we save some money on each title, then over time the savings will pay for the cost of the reader. However, that's far from the case. If there are any savings, they're usually so small that it'll either take forever to recoup the cost of the device or you'll have to buy quite a large number of books to make any significant dent in the short run.

OP
johnnyFIVE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
well, for her itll be the space saved and she can be out at startbucks or something and in her purse she has a couple hundred books. just a convenience thing I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I would compare, and see which on would best for your needs. I will not

Kindle Global Wireless

Kindle DX

Sony PRS-300 Pocket Edition

Sony PRS-600 Touch Edition

Sony PRS-900BC Daily Reader Edition
(Available Dec. 18)

One Comparison:

Kindle:

- 8" x 5.3" x 0.36" (LxWxD)
- 6" display
- 3G Wireless
- Holds up to 1500 books
- Paper-like display
- Claimed battery life of 1 week
- Text to Speech
- Free book samples
- Manual rotating display
- $260

Sony PRS-600

- 6.9 x 4.8 x .4" (LxWxD)
- 6" touch screen display
- Expandable storage with Stick® PRO Duo or SD media
- Free hand and typed notes
- Dictionary
- Paper-like display
- Claimed battery life of 2 weeks
- Supports ePub, BBeB, PDF, TXT, RDF, and Word files
- Supports JPEG, PNG, GIF, and BMP image files
- Supports MP3 and AAC (unsecured) audio files
- $300

Just an example of two comparable models.

OP
johnnyFIVE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I think I decided on the PRS-300 Sony

its only 199$ so i can get her another really nice thing without breaking the bank at all.

I also read that the extra layer on the touch screen ones breaks the contrast and makes them lighter and harder to read. I also think that the nontouchscreen less features one will be a little bit more rugged.

I am going sony because they seem to be less proprietary with their software and are allowing it to link up to the google books and more stuff coming out. ....in the ebook realm at least...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I think I decided on the PRS-300 Sony

its only 199$ so i can get her another really nice thing without breaking the bank at all.

I also read that the extra layer on the touch screen ones breaks the contrast and makes them lighter and harder to read. I also think that the nontouchscreen less features one will be a little bit more rugged.

I am going sony because they seem to be less proprietary with their software and are allowing it to link up to the google books and more stuff coming out. ....in the ebook realm at least...

Sorry for "re-Kindling" an old thread. I bought the Sony Touch and it was weird and hard to read. I was going to get the cheaper Sony, but then I found a Kindle 2 on eBay for a great price (brand new). This thing is pretty awesome. I like it tons better than the Sony Touch. I am not too excited about the DRM crap, but the device itself is cool as heck. I am still waiting for something to read technical PDF's much better. When I find that, I will be giving this to the wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Coming soon (end of March?) to an Apple Store near you!

P a t i e n c e ! ! ! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.