iDefrag

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got iDefrag and want to defrag my computer so I can get Boot Camp to partition my disk but was unsure of what settings to use cause there are multiple options such as Compact, Metadata, and Full and more.

Does anyone know the best and simplest defrag solution?

THanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you checked the help files to see what each of those terms mean? You want whichever option will move files and free up space so you can create a partition with Boot Camp.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and do that.

I was just trying to see and hoping if any users here had an recommendations or could share experiences with the different settings.

Thanks though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
From the Coriolis Systems iDefrag web page:

Every Mac user has noticed it; over time, your system slows down. This is particularly true in these days of constant security updates, as replacing operating system components not only increases file fragmentation, but also creates a more insidious problem—over time, the operating system itself ends up scattered all over your disk.

This, of course, doesn’t show up as fragmentation—after all, the files themselves are probably contiguous—but nevertheless, it takes your machine longer to start up, it takes programs longer to start, and it takes longer to get your work done.

iDefrag solves these problems and more, by defragmenting and optimizing your Mac’s filesystem.

They're really doing a sales job there. All the experts, on this site, other Mac forums, and even the Geniuses at the Apple Store, say that you don't need to optimize OSX any more. I still do it anyway. Maybe the OP is using some other OS, since that's the forum we're in, but the developer claims iDefrag is compatible with Snow Leopard.

iDefrag might be an excellent tool, but at $30 I'd be more inclined to pass on a one-trick pony in favor of a more versatile package of tools. That might cost twice as much, but pack 10 times as much functionality. It was my curiosity about the cost for iDefrag that motivated me to track down the web page. Now I know, and so do you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
maybe I can quickly share some ' live ' results on defrag

Background:
We currently have a sales-force on the road with winxp machines running an application using a MySQL database and lots of large spreadsheets, which change daily. Frequent defragging the disk is required to keep the system running at top speed. ( we use PerfectDisk )

For 8 months now, we are investigating to replace the winxp machines with MB's and we are running all sorts of tests to assess the economic and techical feasibility of switching. As such, one of the tests was a defrag on our test MB.
During these 8 months a lot of apps and data have been installed on the MB and removed, 4 x OS's upgrades, you name it....

When we tested defrag on the MB, we had the following situation: MB 2.26 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB/5400 rpm, OS X 10.5.8 , 7% fragmentation

The following tests were performed:
3 x cold boot to logon screen, no apps loaded at startup = 38 seconds, after defrag 26 seconds
3 x load openoffice ( cold boot ) = 12 seconds, after defrag 9
3 x load a 7280 KB spreadsheet ( cold boot ) = 18 seconds, after defrag 12 seconds

That indicates that on this particular MB, we achieved an increase in performance ( of which the loading of spreadsheet is the only relevant one )

I am not suggesting that you can turn this into a general statement, but you can not neglect the findings either.

All I am saying is that in my personal environment, I don't care that much as long as my machine performs well.
In a commercial environment ( where productive time is a valuable asset ) then defrag can make a difference, especially in the area of employee satisfaction ;D

Just my 2 cents

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
I am relatively knew to MAC , but not to NIX operating systems.
I do not use my startup HD for more 80% of its totall capacity .
Doing so I never notice that start up time increase
If it do it is because it is waiting for something
That is why I always start up in the verbose mode , also on the MAC.
To keep a close watch what it is doing during start up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just to chip in . . . .

The OP's reason for wanting to defrag was because OSX's bootcamp assistant couldn't create a contiguous partition large enough to use as the bootcamp partition. So, performance/Apple's insistence defrag is unnecessary aside, the OP needs to do something so that they can create a bootcamp partition.

The Apple 'approved' solution is an OS re-install which seems like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut to me.
Defragmenting the drive and consolidating the space seems like a much better option.

It's a shame Apple don't build the feature into Disk Utility or in the bootcamp assistant (if they don't trust people to use it at will).

To balance my own argument I can tell you that I had exactly this problem and used a defrag tool (not iDefrag) and it royally destroyed my OSX installation. Thank goodness for Time Machine backups. Your mileage, using iDefrag, may vary of course....but I'd backup first if I were you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please note that the OP was given two solutions to resolving his problem of not being able to create a Boot Camp partition. One of those solutions was to use an application such as iDefrag that could "move" files in order that he would have enough contiguous free space to create the partition.

The other was to make a Time Machine backup, reinstall OS X, restore from backup during the reinstall.

BTW, for years Microsoft "adamantly" stated to users that NTFS unlike FAT did not suffer from file fragmentation. Of course we found out later on that was not true. Unix, like any other file system will experience file fragmentation over time. However, because of the structure of the overall Unix operating system the fragmentation is negligible.

In the OP's situation, we're not concerned with file fragments per se. We're trying to "move" files from their current location in order to free up space. That's where an application such as iDefrag can be useful.

Just my two cents worth of info....

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone.

I created a complete backup using SuperDuper! the other day actually because I've been meaning to use iDefrag in order to try and get my Boot Camp up and running.

Now, I'm just scared if I want to do this now or later because I left my original OSX Installation CD back in my dorm room which I won't have access to till after winter break and don't want to risk screwing things up requiring a reinstall of the OS X while I don't have the CD on me.

I'm going to look into the different iDefrag options right now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had to run a defragmentation routine when I wanted to install Boot Camp. I was getting the same error you are. I used Drive Genius because that's what I had. I haven't used iDefrag personally but I can give you a few ideas that will likely be helpful:
1. No matter which program you use backup your data. Even with a stable program lots of things can go wrong. Lose power during the defragmentation and your drives directory structure may be scrambled to the point that a reformat is necessary.
2.. If your backup is current, a full backup (system files and data), and bootable, you have another option. Boot from the backup drive, erase the main drive, then clone everything back onto your original drove. The data will be copied back without fragmentation.

OP
E
Reaction score
For your #2 option,
I have a recent backup with SuperDuper! on my external hard drive right now and will prob do one again before since I did install and download some new things here and there.

But basically, have my hard drive connected and go into Finder and delete my main drive like manually by click and drag? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to completely erase the main drive as you say. Sorry for all my questions, I'm a new mac user and still am learning everything.

Reaction score
For your #2 option,
I have a recent backup with SuperDuper! on my external hard drive right now and will prob do one again before since I did install and download some new things here and there.

But basically, have my hard drive connected and go into Finder and delete my main drive like manually by click and drag? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to completely erase the main drive as you say. Sorry for all my questions, I'm a new mac user and still am learning everything.

You would want to boot up your machine from the backup on your external drive. From there, you go to Disk Utility and format your internal drive. Then use SuperDuper to reclone your internal from your backup.

Though I have done this many times WITHOUT fail using SuperDuper, I would advise you to boot-up from your backup drive and make sure all your applications are fully operational from there you before you reformat your internal drive - just a precaution!

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks.

What do you exactly mean by booting up from my backup drive? Like if I just connect my external hard drive to my computer is that the same thing? Or would I have to go to disk utility and then do something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No. You connect the backup drive, then go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select that backup drive. Then you Restart.

Reaction score
No. You connect the backup drive, then go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select that backup drive. Then you Restart.

Or hold down the Alt key when you hear the "Bong", and all start-up disks can be seen. Choose the one you want.

I use iDfrag every 4- 6 weeks (plus Onyx) - the full Optimise option takes a long time on my machine (over 5 hours). That could be due to only having 20% free space on my 320Gb hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.