Fan Cooling

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fan case that they set they MacBook on? If so does it do any good? They have them at Radio Shack for $19 and today i noticed i was running at 82 degrees Celsius.. (180F) there is no way that can be good, I was running about 60% load playing an MMORPG, which I Do daily.

Idea, thoughts and suggestions?? Right now I am making due by setting my laptop on a 6 x 8 copper brick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't particularly like cooling stands that have fans. Most of them make far too much noise for me and they don't really work all that well anyway.

I purchased a Griffin Elevator for my MacBook right after I bought it and have been using it ever since. It raises my MacBook off the desk to where it can be cooled naturally by air flowing under it and around the back. The nice thing about raising your MacBook off the surface is that it gives additional protection against nasty spills which can be disastrous.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
today i bought one of the stands with fans. It's very quit but there is no difference in Temperature. I still hit 80+ when playing my game. The enclosure temperature feels cooler to the touch , but the CPU temp reading is the same.

also cleaned it out with Duster Can.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't particularly like cooling stands that have fans. Most of them make far too much noise for me and they don't really work all that well anyway.

I guess you didn't take my advice about cooling stands with fans. Well anyway, you now have some protection against spills. Don't worry about the temperature. If your machine overheats it will shut down automatically.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
I guess you didn't take my advice about cooling stands with fans. Well anyway, you now have some protection against spills. Don't worry about the temperature. If your machine overheats it will shut down automatically.

Regards.

What temp will it shut down at ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
Obviously the machines with the aluminum cases are using the case itself as a heat sink to radiate heat. I've wondered whether attaching metal fins would improve that. Maybe making something from cpu heat sinks? I dunno. Just a wild and crazy thought. Having a nice quiet machine and then having to run a fan seems kind of silly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.