AirPort options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So, our Linksys wireless router that my wife and I have had for about six and a half years is starting to get quirky; I'm having to re-boot it and/or factory-reset the thing almost every day now...

I read some excellent reviews about Apple's options.

Now, here's the thing...my wife and I both have tower PCs that currently have wired connections. I did a bit of research on AirPort Express, but that's 100% wireless. Now, the AirPort Extreme has an option for wired computers, but it's pretty overkill including the workload it can handle AND the price.

Is there some way I can kind of go in between??? is there a way to, say, hack or adapt the AirPort Express to work on a wired connection (like with some kind of bridge or something)??? The only other way it'd be useful is if we bought wifi cards for our two towers...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why even buy an Apple router? There are other brands that in my opinion outperform both the Express and Extreme and, cost less. Take a look at the D-Link DIR-655. Amazon has it for $91.00. LINK

Regards.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Even better. :) Thanks, chscag!

Reaction score
er, Airport Express is a wired/wireless router. Check out that ethernet port. A 100% wireless router...hmmm.

Anyway, why go with Apple products? I have a shelf full of non-Apple routers that, quite frankly, suck. I thought I'd save money with other brands, and what I got was a massively frustrating waste of time and money. The Apple routers tend to "just work" right out of the box with minimal configuration, and tend to perform to spec: David Pogue did a hilarious video where he tested a bunch of 802.11n routers, the Apple router was the only one that came close to 802.11n throughput. Security is very good as well compared to the competition (example: Belkin displays your SSID to any user from the web interface, no log in required. Um, yeah, that's secure...not.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.