MBP WiFi is not working, Apple refuses to fix it... what can I do?

Reaction score
I bought a Macbook Pro about a year and a half ago, and I bought the AppleCare extended warranty ($350!) along with it. A few months ago, around mid-September, I started noticing minor problems with the WiFi speed at my house, but assumed it was just an issue with the router. As time went by, however, the problems got worse and worse, and by late November I couldn't access any web pages because the WiFi was so slow. It only seems to be a problem with certain networks, however. At my mom's house and my girlfriend's house, it's incredibly slow. At my college campus it seems split about 50/50: some of the networks seem to work perfectly and others don't work at all. At my dad's house it works fine.

The problem isn't with the routers, that I'm sure of. At my mom's house there are four other computers that all use WiFi and they run fine. One of them is even a MacBook Pro like mine, so I know it's not a compatibility issue. At my girlfriend's house there's two, which also work fine. And obviously, at my college campus there are plenty of other laptops getting a great signal.

I also doubt it's a software problem; I have both Mac and Windows XP installed on my laptop and the problem is the same on both. I've also tried multiple browsers (Firefox, Safari on Mac, IE on Windows).

I took my laptop to the Apple Store closest to my house; they said they could take it in to see what the problem is. After a week, they called me today to tell me that they've been testing for problems in their lab and that they can't replicate the problem that I've been having with their network, so I can just come by to pick it up whenever. I'm at a loss for words, I don't know what I paid $350 dollars for if they're just gonna send me packing when something goes wrong. I got in an argument with the lady on the phone and she said they can keep it in the labs and keep testing for problems; I told her to do that for now, but that's just because I didn't know what else to do.

Any advice? How can I get Apple to take responsibility for this? I'm thinking of taking my laptop back and running some speed tests at my house, and then bringing them back to the Apple store to show them. Or maybe I'll invite one of their employees over to my place to see the problem themselves; I can make them lunch and everything. I'm seriously that desperate. I've never payed as much money for a computer as I did for this MacBook Pro, and I've never had as bad of an experience with a computer as I'm having with it now. :'(

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, as a sidenote, that I know it's a WiFi problem specifically because ethernet connections work fine, even in places where WiFi doesn't, like at my mom's house.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your problem sounds very much like a DNS slowdown. When you get your machine back from Apple, go into System Preferences, Network, Advanced, and click on the DNS tab.

You should be showing an IP address that's grayed out. That will be your router. Click on the small + sign at the bottom and add in this address:

208.67.220.220 click the + sign again and add in this address:

Click OK. Click Apply.

Reboot your machine and reboot your router. Let us know if that helps.

And by the way, don't blame Apple. If they can't duplicate a problem, they can't fix it. Happens all the time in electronics repair.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.