Hey you old guys, I have a Question for ya!

Reaction score
I'm having problems understanding how downloads work and reading files that will not open .wmv for example.Placing them where they should be placed I guess the simple ABC's lol I know it sounds dumb but being new at this stuff and old ;) really confuses me. I really wish I got into this stuff before senior citizen discounts took effect lol I'm not even sure this is the right forum for this Question ;)

Reaction score
iNAP said:
I'm having problems understanding how downloads work and reading files that will not open .wmv for example.Placing them where they should be placed I guess the simple ABC's lol I know it sounds dumb but being new at this stuff and old ;) really confuses me. I really wish I got into this stuff before senior citizen discounts took effect lol I'm not even sure this is the right forum for this Question ;)

Ok Sunny, i'll see if i can take a stab at this one. To start off with, those .wmv files are Windows Media files, you need a windows media player to view them. Fortunatly there is a Mac version of the Windows Media Player that you can download, just install it and it will play those .wmv files for you.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...str=windows+media+player&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

Where you place the downloaded files is up to you. I think default is to place them on the desktop, which can get quite messy after awhile if you do a lot of downloading. Another way is to open a download folder on your drive and set your web browser to download all files to that folder, makes for a much neater desktop.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
James said:
Ok Sunny, i'll see if i can take a stab at this one. To start off with, those .wmv files are Windows Media files, you need a windows media player to view them. Fortunatly there is a Mac version of the Windows Media Player that you can download, just install it and it will play those .wmv files for you.

Where you place the downloaded files is up to you. I think default is to place them on the desktop, which can get quite messy after awhile if you do a lot of downloading. Another way is to open a download folder on your drive and set your web browser to download all files to that folder, makes for a much neater desktop.
Yes anything downloaded goes on desktop, it does seem to get messy. I went to a microsoft site and downloaded Windows Media files for OSX from there but it didn't work.
Do I have this right? I should open hard drive create a folder there and place any downloads to that folder? How is it, I get Safari to download to that folder? Somewhere in Safari preferences, I would assume.

Reaction score
iNAP said:
Yes anything downloaded goes on desktop, it does seem to get messy. I went to a microsoft site and downloaded Windows Media files for OSX from there but it didn't work.
Do I have this right? I should open hard drive create a folder there and place any downloads to that folder? How is it, I get Safari to download to that folder? Somewhere in Safari preferences, I would assume.

Try the site i listed above at version tracker, maybe you got a bad copy or something. Then install the program to your Apps folder, open the program and point it to the .wmv file you want to view, should work.

Yes set Safari on the "General" icon and about 5 lines down set the path to the download folder in the "Save downloaded files to" line.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
James said:
Try the site i listed above at version tracker, maybe you got a bad copy or something. Then install the program to your Apps folder, open the program and point it to the .wmv file you want to view, should work.

Yes set Safari on the "General" icon and about 5 lines down set the path to the download folder in the "Save downloaded files to" line.

Ok I see how to do that when I open HD there are 4 folders
App
Library
Systems
Users

Does it matter which I use or should I create a new folder? Will another user (my wife)beable to use the download also?

Reaction score
iNAP said:
Ok I see how to do that when I open HD there are 4 folders
App
Library
Systems
Users

Does it matter which I use or should I create a new folder? Will another user (my wife)beable to use the download also?

Personally i would just open a new folder called Downloads, then right click and bring up "Info" and set the permissions so that she will have read and write access to that folder.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Ok I downloaded the software you suggested but I get this message
Safari can’t open the file “Windows Media.sitx” because no available application can open it. tried open it in the hd window and the download window but I keep egtting that message

Reaction score
iNAP said:
Ok I downloaded the software you suggested but I get this message
Safari can’t open the file “Windows Media.sitx” because no available application can open it. tried open it in the hd window and the download window but I keep egtting that message

Did you download the top file, the windows media player 9.0?

Safari doesn't open the file...did you open the download folder and have Safari download it to that folder? Then go to the folder and open it and there should be a file called WindowsMediainstaller.bin. Simply double click that file and stuffit will open it and then you will see a file called Windows Media installer. Double click that file and it will install the Windows Media Player for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
yes your "other user" can download. only the administrator can let her install the programs in the apps folder though. i assume that you have separate accounts. you can create a folder in the users>shared folder so that all downloads for both of you are accessible to both of you.you would also have to go into her profile and set the default DL file to this file, or you can show her how to do it. once the folder is created, all you have to do in the finder window is drag it to left side which makes it a shortcut.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Yes I downloaded it into new folder in hard drive, labeled it Downloads but It will not open I keep getting that same message

Reaction score
iNAP said:
What do you mean then right click?

Opps! Your using the Apple 1 button mouse aren't you... Dang, i am used to the normal 2 button. I think if you hold the Apple key, just to the left of the space bar with the Apple on it, and click that it works like the 2 button mouse... Hope so anyway i don't use the Apple keyboard or mouse so i really can't say for sure.

When you click on the hard drive icon it shows you the folders already there on the drive. Right click on an open spot of that window and it should bring up a menu and the top option is "New Folder", click that one and it will add a new folder, and the name will be highlighted, just type in Downloads and hit return then you will have a folder called Downloads. Right click on that folder and choose INFO from the menu and it will bring up info on that folder.

Down towards the bottom you will see "Ownership & Permissions:" Left click on that and it will drop down more and you will see "Details", click on that and set everything to "read & write" and down at the bottom click on the "Apply to enclosed items". That way your wife will have access to that folder and the files inside.

Reaction score
iNAP said:
Yes I downloaded it into new folder in hard drive, labeled it Downloads but It will not open I keep getting that same message

Did you label the new folder as downloads or the file you downloaded? The file you downloaded needs to be named "WindowsMediainstaller.bin"

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Still will not work I followed those direction to the T.Still can not see .wmv
Same message comes up DOH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
use ctrl+click on the file and then click open with. if there is another option other than stuff it, use it. i believe that you might want to go the the stuff it site and update your version. i read recently, with in the last 2 months, that there was a new version out. depending on when your mac was built, you might have an old version.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I SEE THE PROBLEM I THINK, the file calles itself "WindowsMediainstaller.sitx" not .bin

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
fearlessfreap24 said:
use ctrl+click on the file and then click open with. if there is another option other than stuff it, use it. i believe that you might want to go the the stuff it site and update your version. i read recently, with in the last 2 months, that there was a new version out. depending on when your mac was built, you might have an old version.
This think isn't out of the box more than a month should be up to date I would think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ok, old persons, lol, you're getting nowhere fast, .sitx requires stuffit 8 or later, you can try renaming just to .sit, it may work, windows media player is junk, try mplayer or vlc, both available at versiontracker.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
James said:
Did you label the new folder as downloads or the file you downloaded? The file you downloaded needs to be named "WindowsMediainstaller.bin"
why does it need to be named windowsmediaplayerinstaller.bin? at any rate, .sitx isn't working, it may need to be .bin, but if so, why would it be a .sitx file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.