OS 8.6 upgrade - need advice

Reaction score
I'm helping friend come into this century with their IMAC. The queston is: Can you successfully move all the files from OS8.6 to OS10 in one jump?
Will some files be lost? She has an older machine and a newer machine with OS10 (both are older though). They both have CD drives and USB2. I'd like to move everything she wants to save onto the newer machine. Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
IThey both have CD drives and USB2.
No machine that ran 8.6 had USB 2.0.

Assuming that the older one has at least USB 1.1, though, A USB flash stick should work fine.

To keep the filenames the same under OS 8.6, format it to HFS+ using Disk Utility for the transfer. (You can format it back to FAT afterwards.)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for taking time to respond. The help is appreciated. Should I also look for any updates to the system before I attempt the transfer? Basically working the latest stuff I can. Should I look for a firmware update as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No reason not to, but it shouldn't make a difference either way.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks once again. I hope she breaks down and buy a new machine. Life would simpler... for me anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.