Is Mac forums getting like Mac rumors? In a bad way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Been stopping here for years and just made a account, however the forums are getting so much like Mac rumors, Negative and not as friendly as before anyone else noticing this?

Reaction score
Been stopping here for years and just made a account, however the forums are getting so much like Mac rumors, Negative and not as friendly as before anyone else noticing this?

I'm not familiar with Mac rumors but I find Mac-Forums to be an unusually good forum. Almost always folks are helpful and civil if not friendly. I've wondered why that is and I think it is in how the forum gets established. Setting ground rules and setting a good example. Maybe the reputation system also helps?

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
The Rep system is a joke, if they dont like how, what or where you say it they give you a negative hit.And you cant see who its from.. not very fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Oh well, I guess every forum has a "BadApple"... Hee!Hee! ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have been a member of quite a few forums before this one, and was a member for a number of years before becoming a mod here. I would not have stayed if this forum wasn't a friendly and helpful place - if you don't find it to be so, there's plenty of other fish in the sea, so to speak.

One of the things that I think sets M-F apart is the family-friendly atmosphere. Not everyone likes that sort of thing, but I think keeping out the usual cruft that you see crop up on a lot of forums (namely, over the top language, scam artists and spam) really makes the forum more enjoyable. And the reputation system does its part to keep people from flaming and otherwise being rude. To me, that is one of the many things that keeps the tone upbeat and friendly.

If you follow the rules, are generally friendly and don't cop an attitude, you'll see that your reputation increases rapidly. I think in the time that I've been here and after receiving hundreds of positive feedback remarks, I can only count the number of negative ones on one hand.

The rep system has very well defined rules - and if you think someone is abusing it, by all means, let us know. We'll be happy to investigate and make corrections as necessary.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
When I first started reading here many years ago it seemed like a very awesome place, now not so much. Maybe its me maybe not... time will tell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yea, I'm gonna have to say it's you :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of response did you really expect? You come in here bashing the place and you think we're gonna just sit back and take it with big happy smiles? This place is much better than Mac Rumors, but we're not a bunch of pansies either.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
What kind of response did you really expect? You come in here bashing the place and you think we're gonna just sit back and take it with big happy smiles? This place is much better than Mac Rumors, but we're not a bunch of pansies either.
Yes it is better then mac rumors I will give you that and not bashing at all, just noticed how much has changed here, it was a much cooler place back then.

Yes it seems like its getting more like MR daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I respectfully disagree. Sure, things seem to have loosened up just a bit, but it's still a pretty tightly run ship. Spam is taken care of ASAP, no profanity is allowed, and any flaming that flares up is taken care of quickly. The moderators do their job incredibly well and we have a great group of members here who are smart, articulate, and respectful of one another.

You're being incredibly vague about why the old days were better. Could you provide examples of why you feel this way? Perhaps it's just nostalgia, stemming from the notion of "the good ol' days."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've been a member here just shy of six years.
I poked my head in and out of here for about a year or so before I even joined.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The staff has always been firm, yet fair (even before I became part of it a few years ago).
There have always been some very helpful core members.

What has changed is that we have more "hit and run" members.
People who get in, ask their questions... then get out, never to be heard from again.

Still, this forum is just as friendly and fun to be a part of as it has always been.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for the feedback BadApple, if you have specifics, please PM them to me, but for now, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as I think the concern has been addressed and answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.