New 21.5" iMac, Mouse and Keyboard won't work together. What's going on?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have literally just unpacked my new iMac, switched it on and the keyboard is working, but the Magic Mouse won't work at the same time. I have had the mouse working, but only when the keyboard is off, even though in the Bluetooth menu under 'Bluetooth Preferences' it sometimes says both are connected when they clearly aren't.

Also, it doesn't say 'Magic Mouse' or 'Apple Wireless Mouse', but instead a series of numbers (00-26-bb-7a-64-12 *Not Connected)

In the instructions it says that the wireless keyboard and mouse should just work straight away!:(

I'm so gutted, it's my first Apple product and it doesn't work properly. The screen looks great and everything else seems fine but it seems that there is something wrong with the bluetooth settings/hardware.

If anyone can help that would be great, i've been saving for this Mac for ages and now it's arrived i don't want to have to send it back straight away.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul.

Reaction score
"00-26-bb-7a-64-12 *Not Connected" means it sees a Bluetooth device out there, but is not paired up with it (Not Connected means it's not connected).

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then Bluetooth from the View menu to open the Bluetooth System Preferences pane.
2. Click Add (+) in the Bluetooth System Preferences pane.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Here's some URL's that may help trouble shoot this for you:
About Wireless Keyboard Update 2.0
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Using an Apple wireless keyboard or mouse
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: If the indicator light is flashing on your Apple wireless keyboard or mouse
Desktop computers: Troubleshooting wireless keyboard and mouse issues in Mac OS X v10.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.