Parallels 4 problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have Parallels 4 on my iMac, with several Guest VMs. Until now all of these have worked correctly. Suddenly I find that Parallels will not start up. Whether I go to one of the shortcuts to the VMs, or directly to Parallels itself, nothing happens when I double click the icon.

I have checked in Parallels Explorer and the VMs seem to be readable.

I assume that something has gone wrong with the actual Parallels installation, but I get no error messages, so I have no idea what that could be.

I did keep a copy of the DMG file when I downloaded Parallels, but the external disk on which I stored that has since died, so I cannot reinstall Parallels. As luck would have it, my extended download period for Parallels 4 expired 10 days ago, so out of luck there too.

Even worse, Parallels 5 has now been released, so v4 is not even available any more. If I were to buy the upgrade from 4 to 5, would I be able to install that when I do not have a working copy of 4? I have the installation codes, but not sure if that would be enough. I don't really want to buy the upgrade version and then find it doesn't work. I don't want to buy the full version as I have bought v4 (and v3 as well actually). I don't really want to buy 5 at all, I just want to fix 4.

Any thoughts please? Can my Parallels 4 installation be fixed?

I do have Fusion as well, but that will not open the Parallels VMs - nor will VirtualBox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.