Moving files from Pc to iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
Please help. - moving files from Pc to iBook

I know i've seen this thread somewhere, but I dunno exactly what to type in the search box to find it.

Anyway, on with my questions. How do I put mp3's,pics,files from my PC on to my ibook?

I don't have a router, I dunno if you need one or not? Just give me some options.

Also, I don't know how many of you out there are good with Windows, but for some strange reason my broadband has been acting funny on my WindowsXP system, but on my ibook my connection runs smoothly. For example, on my PC my connection will run fast for a little bit, then all of a sudden it lags out, then it starts going fast again.

This is why I want to move all my files from my pic to my Ibook, because I'm thinking I should do a complete system reformat on my windows system.

Any quick responses will be greatly appreciated.

D

Desolate One

The best net is the sneaker net! Burn a DVD or CDR with those files you crave. You'll get them over with no problems what so ever! ;)

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Couple of ways come to mind

Cheapest would be to burn CDs and xfer that way Apple drives will read PC CDROMS

Or go pop about $120 - $150 on a USB external drive -- my mini automatically mounted a USB drive I used to back up my old PC ---- now I didn't actually xfer any files but I could see them

other files you can email to yourself (just turn off the auto-check feature on your PC - set for manual ) then read the mail on your mac

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I guess I'll have to do that.

I'm really going to hate wasting one of my DvD-r's though.

Can anyone tell me about the connection problem?

Reaction score
Did you run any adware program or your virus software? That's what I would do first :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mod note: title change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If you have broadband but no router, that means your cable or DSL modem is plugged directly into your PC. This is really unsafe, and could definitely contribute to your speed problems on the PC-- people may be trying to hit it, or you could have spyware on your machine.

My first suggestion is to get a router and get your PC off the direct internet connection right away. Routers are incredibly cheap ($10 after rebates at places like Buy.com or CompUSA) and very easy to set up, so there's really no reason not to do it.

Secondly, get a spyware program for your XP box like SpyBot S&D (www.spybot.info) and run it often on your PC. This will get rid of most spyware on your machine. (One of the things I love about my Mac!) I am almost positive this is causing your speed issues on your XP machine.

Third, (and on to your Mac problem :): you can connect your Windows machine to your Mac through an Ethernet cable, no router necessary. Plug in each end and the Mac will auto-sense the XP box. You will have to login as your Windows user when you mount the shared drive on your Mac, and you'll have to make sure you have File Sharing turned on on the XP box. Once that's in place, just copy your files from the shared folder to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I also burnt to CD and moved across.

M

mangoSharingan

If you just want to transfer files from your PC to your iBook, just get any cheap network cable (both patch and crossover are fine) and connect them together. Then do the usual 192.168.0.44 and 255.255.255.0 stuff and you're done. It's faster than burning it all onto CD-R too. Then when you are done formatting your PC, just send it all back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mangoSharingan said:
If you just want to transfer files from your PC to your iBook, just get any cheap network cable (both patch and crossover are fine) and connect them together. Then do the usual 192.168.0.44 and 255.255.255.0 stuff and you're done. It's faster than burning it all onto CD-R too. Then when you are done formatting your PC, just send it all back.

Yeap, the ethernet cable option is the best to transfer files.
It's faster, cheaper and better for the environment (CDs/DVDs are not very environment-friendly when thrown away).

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried teh ethernet cable transfer, but the machines didn't do anything.

:/ I don't think my mac dected it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow this link.

I believe your answer will be under "Sharing files between a Mac laptop and a PC connected with a crossover cable."

M

mangoSharingan

Yea, it's quite annoying getting it right the first time. You have to set your Mac's IP to 192.168.0.44 and it's subnet to 255.255.255.0, and then your PC's IP to 192.168.0.45 and it's subnet to 255.255.255.0. Then make sure the folders you want to send over to the Mac are Shared and hopefully, your PC's name will appear under Network on your Mac. If you want to send files the other way round, you must enable 'Windows Sharing' on your Mac under Sharing in System Preferences. Then type the URL of your Mac into your PC browser and you're there!

E

embries

Keyword "crossover cable". This is NOT a regular cat5 cable. It has the 4th and 5th wires crossed on one end. This is needed if you're not plugging the 2 units into a hub or router. If you want to connect the 2 directly to each other you must get a crossover cable. Crossover cables are generally the same price as regular ethernet cable, although they can be a little harder to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
embries said:
Keyword "crossover cable". This is NOT a regular cat5 cable. It has the 4th and 5th wires crossed on one end. This is needed if you're not plugging the 2 units into a hub or router. If you want to connect the 2 directly to each other you must get a crossover cable. Crossover cables are generally the same price as regular ethernet cable, although they can be a little harder to find.

In the link I posted above, it states that Macs do not need a crossover cable. No sense in seeking one out when it's unnecessary.

M

Moadib

iphix said:
Anyway, on with my questions. How do I put mp3's,pics,files from my PC on to my ibook?

I don't have a router, I dunno if you need one or not? Just give me some options.

In terms of transferring, others have suggested using CD-Rs, but that could get expensive if you need to transfer a lot. Obviously a hub/switch would be best, but if you don't have that have you thought of a standard crossover cable? They're usually used to uplink from one switch to another, but you can use them to connect two PCs together to form a mini network. I'm not clued up on Apple stuff, but I guess this should work between a PC and a Mac, no?

In terms of the slow connection, possibly spyware? There's about a zillion pages describing this stuff, but I'd suggest a) downloading Adaware and running it on your PC system (do a google search for it), and b) if that doesn't help go to Start/Run and type "msconfig". Go to the startup options and research each of the things you see listed (do a google search for Black Viper's site, which will help in this).

Hopefully that'll get you started at least :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moadib said:
... but if you don't have that have you thought of a standard crossover cable?

*sigh*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.