iBook: Replacing RAM

W

WireFire

Hey all,

I will be ordering a 12inch iBook sometime this month. I was wondering how easy it is to upgrade RAM? Can anyone list the steps? I would like to get a 512 stick to go SO-DIMM with the stock 256 stick. The only problem is that apple wants $130 or so when a normal PC2100 sick runs about $40-60.

Thanks,

WireFire

OP
W

warrenbert

Buy any PC2100 (or PC2700) 200-pin SODIMM. 1GB will cost you about $135! Try Newegg.com, crucial.com, or anyone BUT Apple. They deliberately don't include adequate RAM for OSX so they can make money on overpriced RAM and extended warranties. Instructions are included with your iBook. You will need a small (size 0) phillips screwdriver and that's it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
when you get your iBook (assuming you are buying it new from apple or other authorized dealer), the manual that comes with it tells you how.

ps. it is really easy, unless you dont have a jewelers screwdriver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i dont see why it wouldnt. if you dont caree what brand of ram you get you can check wwww.pricewatch.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
WireFire said:
Does anyone know of any 512 meg stick I could get for under 60$ that would work with apple? It seems most of the cheaper RAM is not compatable.....

OWC has a 512 MB stick for your machine for $59. Guaranteed compatible and lifetime warranty.

OP
W

WireFire

Thanks a bunch for the replys guys! I do, however, have one more question:

When using the tekmod carrying case, do you need to leave the notebook strapped in? I would rather just be able to take the iBook out whenever it is not in transport...

-WireFire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.