wondering if i can install windows 7 64 bit

Reaction score
Hello all, i have an apple iMac 24inch intel core 2 duo 3.06, and i currently run 2 OS , snow leopard and windows 7 32 bit. I was wondering if i can install windows 7 64 bit ? I will need another Boot Camp ( installing windows from Mac OS ) ? Help please.

ps: 1st of all is my mac compatible with 64-bit ? Sry i am a newbie :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
One other note - you cant install a third partition using boot camp. To use BC, you will either have to delete your existing partition and reinstall the 64 bit windows instead. If you want to keep your existing Windows install, you'll either need to create a virtual machine for the 64-bit install or use something like reFit to install a third bootable partition. I am not in my office but you can search for reFit to find the link.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know what you're looking at, but your iMac can run Windows 7 x 64 bit. As Sammy said though, you can not have three partitions using BC and Windows 7 x 32 bit can not be upgraded to Windows 7 x 64 bit. The 64 bit version must be installed clean.

Link to rEFIt here.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Don't know what you're looking at, but your iMac can run Windows 7 x 64 bit. As Sammy said though, you can not have three partitions using BC and Windows 7 x 32 bit can not be upgraded to Windows 7 x 64 bit. The 64 bit version must be installed clean.

Link to rEFIt here.

Regards.

yes but can i use the bootcamp from my iMac ? cause i think it says its compatible with 32bits operating systems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp is compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems that it supports.

And if you're running Snow Leopard on your iMac core 2 duo you're already running a 64 bit operating system.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2GHz, 4GB Crucial Memory, 120GB Hard Drive
I own an actual copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). How do I install when I can't even boot from the CD? I've found many tutorials online but they've only pertained to the release candidate, not the production release.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I get the "CD Boot Type" message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It would appear that my iMac is compatible with a 64-bit Windows7 installation or at least I think so (I have an iMac 20" Early 2008).

I followed the link to the rEFIt page, but I don't see any instructions for adding a second Windows partition - only how to boot from whichever partition I wish afterwards. Isn't that possible anyway with the "Press Option on Boot" method?

I assume I can create a new partition with iPartition, but how do I install Windows7 into this please? Will Bootcamp Assistant let me do that or does that only work with the original Windows partition?

I am currently running Leopard from the internal drive and I have Snow Leopard on an external drive. I also have WindowsXP on the Bootcamp partition on the internal drive, plus several other bootable partitions created with SuperDuper! as backups. All of these are bootable using the normal Boot Menu.

I have not tried it yet as it will take some time for iPartition to make space and create a new partition, so it would be helpful if someone could please explain how I get the Windows7 OS to install before I create it - or let me know if that isn't going to work.

Thoughts please? :Confused:

Edit - For the moment I am trying it out with Parallels 5 on the Snow Leopard partition. Seems to installing OK so far.

Edit2 - Windows7 64-bit installed nicely on Parallels 5. Looks good, so I suppose the question of Bootcamp is moot really. It would still be nice to know for the future though please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.